I had a urolift 8 months ago, and it stopped working.

Posted , 12 users are following.

I just went to the uro that did my urolift. He said that I now have OAB and gave some meds to take for a month. Does urolift cause OAB.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I got urolift a year a year and three months ago. Helped me alot. Never got OAB . Hope I get another two years before prostate outgrows the clips

• Posted

I am on year 4 of my urolift (5 fasteners). Still working well with no issues.

• Posted

Why did you have Urolift ? So many failures have been reported. Even when it's successful, it doesn't last long and very effective.

• Posted

... NOT very effective.

• Posted

I had it because the urologist said that I had two choices, urolift or button turp so I chose the least invasive,

• Posted

Lew,

This is now water under the bridge, but before any surgery, it is worth seeing another doctor for a second opinion. The first urologist that I saw only did old mono TURP and tried unsuccessfully to tell me that it was the best procedure available after I had done my research and I had decided on Rezum because it was less invasive. The third urologist that I saw, was the one that did my Rezum.

Steve

• Posted

Were you concerned with retro ejaculation ? If you were, urolift was the correct choice. If you were not, button turp is way better.

• Posted

Lew,

When I looked at the various BPH procedures that were available, Urolift was quickly dropped from my list. One urologist that I saw, stopped doing them because of failures and prostate growth both of which required a 2nd Urolift and more clips. My primary care doctor had a family member who had a failed Urolift where a clip broke loose and went into the bladder causing bloody urine until the clip was removed.

Steve

• Posted

It can take a while for the bladder to rehabilitate after long periods of retention. I had a bipolar TURP in April of this year and for months my bladder continued to be irritated - identical symptoms of OAB, but now it's improving and my frequency/urgency issues are improving. Depends on how long you had retention before your operation. Can't say whether the urolift worked or not, but I do know that if your flow has improved your bladder might improve over time. Some foods, supplements, and even artificial sweeteners can irritate the bladder. I take trospium to help with the OAB symptoms. It helps to calm the bladder. There are other similar meds that might work for you. You would have to check if they are covered under your insurance policy.

• Posted

My flow has not improved but has gotten much worse, so I went back to the doctor who put the clips in and he had no solution except to take some OAB drugs.

• Posted

Drugs for an overactive bladder are hardly likely to improve your flow because they relax the bladder so it doesn't contract too strongly. If you have an obstruction the bladder will not contract with sufficient force to push the urine out.

• Posted

Could you have TURP or something else to improve the flow?

• Posted

I think the over active bladder is a result of BPH blockage rather than urolift.

Urolift has been a failure for me also plus now I have constant pain since the urolift 1 year ago. I wish I never had the procedure but you dont know until you try it.

• Posted

I just had a urolift 7 days ago. My doc says I am wide open now, he also told me to take flomax for 6 weeks to help with recovery.

• Posted

Hi Preston,

I had my Urolift last Wednesday, the 25th of September, so we are in a similar position. I have been on Tamsulosin (Flomax) for several years, along with Fnasteride. My consultant stopped the Finasteride with immediate effect and told me to cease the Tamsulosin after 14 days.

Feel free to PM me if you would like to 'compare notes'.

Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.