I had an ablation for svt!! Telling my experience

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello everyone, I I'm 26, had Svt since ai was a kid, my first episode was when I was at age of 11, then after every year I had an attack, but on last year I had attacks every month speeding my heart at 210 bpm, so I have to go to the hospital  [sad]  , then I went to see the cardiologist, and he discovered that supaventricular tachycardia, he referrd me to the electrophysiologist and he recommend me an ablation, after too much thinking and have to take 2 pills a day of propagenone 150 mg, I decided to do my ablation on may 3rd of 2016, My surgery was programmed at 8:00 am, I arrived at the hospital at 6:00 am very nervous, i change my clothes and the got in my room, getting ready with my intravenous for the drugs  [smile] , then the doctor get i. The room, nurses, all kind of very good people, then they transfer me to the cold room!!

They shave me, they put me some cold patches around all my body, that room was very very cold, I saw like 10 monitors, and the good part its that they had music in the cath lab haha so I can relax, then after that they put some drugs and I was feeling like dizzy and then after that I sleep, and they wake me up when they induced my heart to go so fast and I felt those palpitations like 3 different times, then after that I rmeember that they wake me up and I saw the doctor and he told me, the surgery was a success you are good, they take me to the recovery room for an hour because of sedation, I remember that I got out around 12:30 almost 4 hoirs of surgery, then later at my room I discovered that they make me 2 ablations one on my left leg and the other on the right leg, i didnt feel pain just disomcort, and they told me you dont have to move until 8 pm, and I was like wow!!!

That was the most painful part the recovery and be on bed with no moving for more than 8 hours  [sad] , but now its worth it!!

Do the ablation you will get your life back!

Maybe I will drink a coffe tomorrow, chocolate caffeine  [smile]

I cried when rhe doctor told me do your normal life youre svt free, enjoy your family you are never going to see me again hehe, just one more follow up appointment and thats it svt free, free of frustations, free of pills, now I can enjoy life enjoy my family and live everyday like its going to be the last!! Do the ablation!! Do it! 

Its such a blessing to be ok, thanks for reading this long history, if you have questions dont hesitate and make them!!

God bless you all!!

2 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Congratulations, Dakine, and thanks for such an encouraging story.
    • Posted

Thanks dont be afraid!!

Laugh at the hospital before the procedure!!

Be yourself and pray to God!!

And then after enjoy your life!!

• Posted

Thank you Dakine for such a wonderful story. I am having my ablation May 31/16 here in Canada. I am certainly anxious but am so looking forward to being medication free as the side affects are terrible. So glad your procedure went so well. Not sure when you had it, but was wondering what post ablation was like. I heard you can have chest pains, and palpations for awhile after. Did you experience any post ablation symptoms?
    • Posted

Hey Lolasmom, I had it on may 3rd 2016, I just feel discomfort on my legs, like the svt its going to start again but nah, smile, an also palpitations!! But the doctor told its normal give your heart a rest, and recover well, I have been in bed watching movies and playing ps4, by the way Im 26!!
    • Posted

Hi Lolasmom, would you mind sharing with me who is going to be your doctor for ablasion? I am also an SVT patient and wanted to know who is a good doctor in Toronto. 
    • Posted

Hello there, 

I am seeing Dr Makanjee through Rouge Valley Centenary Hospital. His success is 95-99%.  I have AVNRT.

• Posted

Thank you so much Lolasmom. I have SVT. In fact last night I was in emerge getting it treated. I was avoiding the ablation but now thinking seriously about it. Just a lot nervous ;=)
  • Posted

Hi, I'm slightly older (56)  eh hem! and I have my ablation date set for May 17th. Well done and thanks for the information. It really helps me. I'm getting more and more attacks these days- 2 today and a PB of 4. I'm hoping for a result as good as yours. 

• Posted

We all wish you well, Graham. I'm 68, double eh hem, and did very well with my ablation.
    • Posted

Hope everything goes well!!

Blessingsnin your surgery, dont be scared!!

The modt scared thing its to be on bed after the procedure thats the awful part.

Now aftter 4 days of my surgery Im going to drive, I feel much better

• Posted

Wow!! Glad that your surgery went well, the doctor told me that the svt its a very common issue, but great news that we have a cure with all technology.
    • Posted

3 days to go to my ablation at Oxford John Radcliffe , England, and I'm so looking forward to being able to get back to normal. My attacks seem mainly to be triggered by exercise. 3 today while working in the garden. 
    • Posted

Hi Graham,

Well best of luck to you. All of the research I have done on the ablation is very reassuring. I am 61 years old and only started SVT in February......but my ablation is set for May 31/16. I could not take those beta blockers for the rest of my life. I was told to take 2.5 mg of Bisoprolol, but about 5 weeks ago I dropped it to 1.25mg. Even with that my heart rate is 60.   By the way I am having mine done Toronto, Canada

Please let us know how your experience was.

I am sure you will be so pleased

Ellen

• Posted

Good luck GrahamB !!!

Remember the surgery isnt that bad, the recovery it is!!

You will be fine, enjoying new life, deinking coffee, chocolate, beer like me !! smile

God bless you!

• Posted

I know the meds are terrible, I was taking propafenone, a weird medicine for svt 150 mg twice a day and oh men! I always felt like dizzy, with no energy and now I reborn babyyy oh yeahh!

God bless you in may 31, almost my birthday!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.