I had an knee arthroscopy Nov 2013 and have never recovered. Anyone else had similar problems?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a small meniscal tear removed and my patellar was debrided. I was told I would be walking normally after 2 weeks and jogging after 5-6 weeks. One year later and I can't walk further than 200 metres, can't do stairs, have to use disabled toilets, etc, etc. I have post menisectomy syndrome. Unfortunately my good knee is now so painful and noisy due to all the stress its been under for the last year, that I have an appointment with a surgeon tomorrow. I am 47 years old and before surgery was extremely fit swimming a mile a day, walking 2 big dogs twice daily and spinning at the gym 3 times a week. I have been left disabled after a routine arthroscopy. I have been told that if I cycle loads and do hydrotherapy exercises daily, plus visit my physio weekly that within 3 years after the surgery my bad leg should improve. Goodness knows where this nightmare will end now my good knee is suffering. I can't swim now as the good leg hurts when I try. Has anyone suffered like this and finally improved?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Katherine I had a right knee arthroscopy done last nov and my right one done this July and I can honestly say it has made no difference at all I'm still limping and after a short walk the pain is intense before the last operation I asked the surgeon if a full knee replacement would be better but he said I would have to be in my seventies before they would consider that, I'm 62 now and don't want to be limping around for all that time and I also worry that I might have other problems by then so why not try it now and see what difference it makes. I have heard that lots of excersising will strengthen the muscles around the knees but how do you do that if the pain is so bad, its hard to know what to do as I don't want it to be worse, but I want my mobility back and be able to do the things I used to do.

good luck with the consultant hope he can give you some good advice

take care

suexx

• Posted

Dear Katherine,

I had my left knee arthroscopy on October 14th. This is the worst decision I ever made in my life. I feel that I have permanently maimed myself. I used to be a marathoner. Now I can't walk a few hundred meters without pain and exhaustion. I have had my knee aspirated 4 times due to swelling. I am so very depressed and disheartened. I am a 67-yr. old man who used to be vibrant and active. I'm not sure the physical therapy is of value. My legs are so very strong. It is the knee that is messed up. Help! Your kind thoughts and encouragement and hope...PLEASE. Sincerely, Emanuel

• Posted

Hi Katherine, I feel your pain. Its so disheartening to say the least. I had left knee arthroscopy in June 2014 and was told by Surgeon that there was considerable wear and tear at the back of knee which he shaved off. Had Debridement and God know what else. He said it was better outcome than expected that I wouldnt need a replacement for at least 2 years... Well having gone to the gym, swimming, bought exercise bike and doing daily exercises, the pain is worse and has moved to a different location in my knee. I find walking painful and climbing the stairs. I really dont know if I should go back to the Surgeon (who is supposed to b e the best in Ireland?) because he will probably suggest a total knee replacement which I dont really want. Im 65 years young and cannot believe my mobility is almost zero.....Hope you are improving yourself and any tips along the way would be much appreciated.
  • Posted

I have begun a series of injections into my knee which is a lubricant called Supartz ( sodium hyaluronate). Another similar treatment is called Synvisc. Apparently it is derived from rooster crown and has a palliative effect from 6 months to  2 years. I have had one shot and I need at least three before seeing any effect according to the physician. I hope this works but I am skeptical. We shall see.

• Posted

In 2014 I had two arthoscopies on the same knee, second one in October, and in more pain than I've ever been. I am 35, and it's really getting me down.

I can no longer go to the gym, and now I can't walk more than 20minutes.

physio doesn't help, and even tried acupuncture, no luck.

Feel the operations were a waste of time.

I believe, you know your own body.

keep pushing the surgeon to fix the problems.

we put our knees through so much.

good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.