I had ankle reconstructive surgery and a bunion removed on Aug. 14, 2018

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had ankle reconstructive surgery and a bunion removed on Aug. 14, 2018 with a screw put in.  My right foot isn't happy unless it is elevated.  When I try to put my foot on the floor, it turns beet red and starts to swell.  My doctor wants me to start to try and walk and this makes it really difficult.  I have been doing every thing the P.T. has asked me to do so far.  Please give me some helpful advice.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I, too, had ankle reconstruction surgery last July 2017. When i tried to lower my foot, it, too, turned beet red. It took many months for my foot to get to the point where it didn't turn purplish/red. Every foot is different, and healing changes depending upon patient's age, and whether they have had prior surgery, etc. 

• Posted

Hi,

Just a brief on me first, i had ankle & foot surgery in May, fractured ankle & fractured bones in foot, i was 78 days in cast in left foot, air boot on right foot for a fracture there.

Trust me when i tell you, you are not alone.... once the doctor tells you to start walking, do it, your bones are structurally sound. Get your foot on the ground into a larger trainer / slipper whatever, and get weight on it.

There is not easy way through this phase i assure you, but it needs done, you have to accept you are going to be in pain. The longer you put it off the worse it will be, your foot will quite happily stay in its cast position for the rest of its life, you need to challenge it, all the muscles, tissues, tendons need squashed into position again, shout at it and deal with it. I was supposed to go into air boot for 3 weeks after cast removal, but i skipped that phase because i just wanted to start the process of walking, so i had the positive attitude of being 3 wks ahead of schedule, in those 3 weeks i pushed myself as you will have to, trust me you will benefit from this. Get your foot down and use it, retreat to to your bed again and elevate with an ice pack, repeat, repeat, repeat, the colour will be the first thing you see improving, the swelling will reduce, but im afraid it will not go back to normal for a long time. Im just back from 2 weeks in spain (my summer holiday cos i was in bed 3 months over the summer) it was awful in the heat trying to bring the swelling down, now im back to normal weather its fine again, as in not as swollen. Your foot will turn out, so you need to focus on keeping it straight, but this is an issue some weeks further down the recovery road. Again, i need to make you aware this phase you are beginning is painful but it will improve, you just have to push yourself, stay mentally strong, get out of house when possible and remember the only relief you will find is from elevation and ice. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.