I had ankle surgery 9 days ago. Looking to talk to others who have had ankle surgery.

Posted , 5 users are following.

In my surgery they deepened the groove for my Brevis tendon, shaved down some bone under it, repaired an over-stretched ligament in the front of my ankle, & did laparoscopic debridment of my ankle joint. Still in more pain than I expected. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It’s no fun but it will get easier and as it does try to move your ankle a little bit will make physio a bit easier when you get to that stage I tried to move my mine as much as i could bare because i had lateral ankle reconstruction  along with debridment of joint and pes cavus reconstruction. when I say move i mean very little like start with just stretching your toes to what you can bare and move from there nothing big .
    • Posted

How long is your expected healing time I was suppose to have this done tomorrow but been postponed m, and was told 5 week recovery which doesn't seem very long.

• Posted

For pes cavus or lateral ankle reconstruction?  If it’s just pes cavus which is mostly bone reconstruction it’s actually decently quick about the same time as broke bone takes to fully 4-6 weeks ish. Lateral ankle is all soft tissue and that took forever. My ankle didn’t feel good until about 3 months in and even now a year and half later I get twinges and pain pops and snaps that are uncomfortable but manageable.
    • Posted

I am having my peronal tendon repaired, the front liagment repaired and an internal brace fitted. Possibly the inside ligament repaired and bone shards from my fibula removed.
    • Posted

Wow. I know it’s a long road ahead. No broken bones, just the one being shaved down. Ugh. 
  • Posted

So sorry you've been through this.  Sadly you have a big recovery to go through. Make sure you follow all the docs instructions. On top of your pain meds and so on. 

Your new friends should be a wedge pillow for elevation and your pain meds. sad 

Best of luck to you!

Rose

• Posted

I need a wedge pillow. I’m currently using a puffy firm king sized pillow. Starting to get burning pain along with nerve pain. 10 days post. 
  • Posted

I had a very similar surgery June 26, 2017. I had peroneal tendon sublexation and the tendons were damaged and flattened out thin due to the constant friction of the tendons rubbing on the bone when the popped out. The surgeon deepened the groove in the ankle bone, folded the tendons over and stitched each one to itself to round them and strengthen them again. He also did ankle arthroscopy and removed some inflamed tissue from the front of my ankle and removed a cyst on my toe. I was non weight bearing for 5 wks then 25% weight bearing for about 2 wks and then slowly went to full weight bearing by around 8 wks. I was in a splint cast for the first 14 days then stitches were removed and I was put in ace wrap and walking boot even though I was not allowed to put any weight on it. The pain was manageable for me by 3 days post op and I stopped taking pain meds but then I have difficulty taking narcotic pain meds because of my stomach. Around 1 wk post op I began having muscle spasms in my foot that would make my foot randomly jerk which of course hurt but dr said was completely normal. I also experienced painful and extremely irritating feeling in the side of my foot that ran from the ankle to my toes that felt like electric shocks. I was told that was also expected and was the sural nerve waking back up. I discovered all kinds of odd feelings and pains over the first 3 months post op all of which were completely normal and expected by the dr. He just didn't share that expectation with me ahead of time. Probably a good thing or I might have chickened out. I started light ROM pt as soon as stitches were removed and slowly progressed until early Feb when I was finally released from pt. I transitioned from the walking boot to an ankle brace and regular new balance shoe at about 12 wks post op and finally stopped wearing the brace in March.

I hope this gives you some insight into what may be ahead during your recovery. Of course everyone has a slightly different experience. It was difficult. For me it was Extremely difficult as I HATE just sitting around and especially having to be dependent on other people. For me that was far worse than the actual pain involved. Just remember there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Eventually you will look back and it will be a distant memory. Good luck in your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you for the insight. I’m going tomorrow back to the doctor, 1 day shy of 3 weeks post op. Having stitches removed, & hoping to be able to get my leg wet. My skin is so dry & irritated. I’m sure I’m not going to be able to put weight on it. It’s still so painful, I can’t believe it. I hate this splint. It’s so uncomfortable to my heel. I feel tonight trying to get into the shower. Ugh! I hate this. Praying I didn’t mess anything up tonight. 

• Posted

Are they gonna hard cast or walking boot? I know when they finally got me out of the surgical cast and the stitches out was when it really started to be more manageable. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.