I had ascending aortic anuerysm surgery and still have pain 2 years later

Posted , 10 users are following.

My aaa was discovered during an MRI. The aneurysm was 6.5 and was told that surgery was eminent. So I went through with it, 6 hours, 8 days in hospital, 3 mons off work. The surgery saved my life but I will never be the same. 2 yrs later and I still have pain. I would like to know if anyone has had this surgery and what was there experience and any advice?

2 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had my wires removed Friday .. 1/2 hour operation out patient.. I'm a carpenter and I felt the wires and it was causeing pain in my pectoral muscles and under arms .., pain would shoot around. Most of the pain was right on the wires ... it's Sunday now and I'm swollen and soar but nothing like the big operation .. they removed 4 wires with only 2 incisions. I already feel better when I move my arms. That's anoying pulling and pinching is gone

• Posted

I went 7 months with the wire in... I believe they wait at least 6 months before they remove them if they hurt so I'm happy. I don't know why they are still using wire ... must be because it can be removed easy

• Posted

I had my wires removed Friday .. 1/2 hour operation out patient.. I'm a carpenter and I felt the wires and it was causeing pain in my pectoral muscles and under arms .., pain would shoot around. Most of the pain was right on the wires ... it's Sunday now and I'm swollen and soar but nothing like the big operation .. they removed 4 wires with only 2 incisions. I already feel better when I move my arms. That's anoying pulling and pinching is gone

• Posted

For those of you who had open repair, where your were incisions, how long were they and what are the wires all about? I've heard some incisions are large and middle chest and some people have two incisions one one side. So confused about options.

Mine is ascending at 4.1 or so.

• Posted

It's right down the middle .. about 9-10 inches and they use tie wire to keep your sternum shut tight after operation ... after 6 months you no longer need the wire.. the wire stays in you unless you feel it or have discomfort. If you are 4.1 with no symptoms you are being advised to go into a wAit and watch program in cardiologist office or a hospital. In my opinion do not do this operation at that size you are small. Watch it for growth for a few years because a lot of times they will not grow or grow extremely slowly.

• Posted

4.8 to 5.5 is when they advise you should operate
    • Posted

Thank you, Joseph! Your comments are very helpful. I am in wait and see mode, hopefully for a long time. The thought of surgery horrifies me.

Have a great week

Ann

• Posted

So get off this and go live ! You are at almost zero risk. The operation is not horrible it's just long and wears you out. Thank god its 2017 😊😊😊... AND ALWAYS TELL YOURSELF " I don't have cancer " ???

Heart stuff can be fixed easily and "most " of the time you are like new. Lower your Bp with the meds and forget they even told you.

• Posted

I totally agree with 2joseph96583. The doctors always go to a wait and see approach when the aneurysm is smaller than 5cm and no symptoms. Aneurysms seem to be slow growing, especially when avoiding things that (could) encourage growth. Also, medical procedures continue to evolve so your procedure could be a lot less invasive in the future. My incision is almost center of my chest, approximately 9-10 in long. I do have 2 smaller incisions under and to the left & right of the main one. Those are from the drain tubes during surgery.. Wire was used to hold my sternum together as well. Its not pretty, as a woman, I'm always looking for necklines that cover my scar! With time I may become less aware, but its interesting when someone is staring at your chest.. For now, I've chosen to endure the pain. I haven't mentally gotten past the surgery. The thought of another surgical procedure on my chest? No thank you, not yet..lol

• Posted

Amen Joseph, I love your attitude. Attitude is half the battle!!
    • Posted

Thanks for helping me relax a bit, Gigi and Joseph. Appreciate all your kind words and experiences.
  • Posted

Would you mind sharing who did your surgery and where? I'm a 64 year old female with 4.8 anuersym and I'm trying to find a doctor who specializes in this. So sorry you have pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.