I had bunion surgery 5days ago

Posted , 9 users are following.

I take oxycodone 5mg 2 every 6hrs my foot is very swollen and the pain is severe.I can't put absolutely no weight on it.I called the Dr and he said to elevate and ice and that's all I do but it's not helping much.I forgot to ask him how long would I be in pain.any advice?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yeah the first couple of weeks are tough, maybe you should be looking at another painkiller you're able to take alongside. I was on endone (codeine) every 6 hours and paracetamol inbetween though I stopped the strong stuff around day 8/9. Find out what procedure you had as people will be able to better advise you then, also there is another good support group on facebook called I ssurvived a bunionectomy, lots of shared experiences and good advice. Good luck.

• Posted

Oh, bless you. I'm assuming that the medication you mentioned is codeine. I was taking paracetamol along with codeine. I think you just have to try and keep your foot elevated, even when you're sleeping. I was advised to do nothing for 2weeks. It's hard (day 10 now) and I'm itching to get up and do chores. I haven't had any pain, so I think I've probably had a different procedure to you (bilateral scarf and akin), so the only advice I can give is: feet up with a good book and be waited on, if you can. I was told that the only time I needed to get up was for the loo and to shower (now showering - that's quite a hilarious sight with 2 legs dangling over the side of the bath :-D). Take care. Hope you're soon feeling better.

• Posted

Hi, I am at day 4, I also take codeine however mine are 30mg tablets, I take one tablet every 6 hours (I can take two but they are quite strong) check with your doctor if these are strong enough, In-between these I also take 2 paracetamol tablets every 4 hours, this lasts me during the day, I take them even if I think I don't need them, it keeps the pain relief topped up, I dont take any tablets during the night, keep you foot up as much as possible, elevated if not higher at at least a horizontal position, hope this helps x

• Posted

It will pass and get better. I am 5 weeks today and it does get better. The only relief at 5 days was staying in bed, elevation and ice, making sure bandage was not too tight (I loosened after stitches were removed), and staying on top of the meds. I too was experiencing bad pain, it does improve, but it can be unbearable especially when you cannot sleep.

But at 5 weeks I can move around with the lightweight medical shoe, BUT this weekend I overdid it and literally at one point just had to put myself on bed rest. I'm not anywhere close my norm. I was very active so this has been tough. I just keep reminding myself it is temporary. I hope this helps, I feel for you, so sorry you are in pain, but it will get better.

• Posted

I only needed pain pills for two days, luckily. The Doctor stressed elevation and no weight bearing on that foot for 10 days! I followed those instructions as best I could. I also got a knee scooter, rather than crutches - it was a life saver for getting around and for not having my foot hanging down so much, when I was up, which only caused more swelling. You can rent them or buy them. I found a used one on Craigslist for $75.00.

I'm 5 weeks post surgery and I can walk on it now, carefully, but it still gets swollen and will probably do so for months from now - but no actual pain, just uncomfortable sometimes. Get that foot up!

• Posted

Hi Aminah

Hope you're feeling better . I was given codeine, ibuprofen and paracetamol. To take all three when I was in pain every 4 to 6 hrs and then to reduce them as I go along and pain becomes less. So I started with all 3 first couple of days then took just the ibuprofen and paracetamol now I'm 2 weeks post op just taking 1 ibuprofen at night. To tell you the truth the pain killers just get me constipated and that makes me feel even worse.

Just wanted to know whether you got the heel bearing shoe from the hospital because I found that pretty sturdy and comfortable to wear when I'm doing a few things here and there be a use there's no pressure at all on your front toes.

Anyway hope you're coping a little bit bettter and feel free to ask any other questions.

• Posted

At two weeks the swelling is pretty much gone and you can walk with the surgical shoe, ofcouse, when I say walk it means just to the bathroom and around your house.
  • Posted

I am surprised at your Dr.'s choice of pain relief.  Oxycodone is a morpnine style drug but your dose is very mild.  Perhaps the dose is not strong enou.  Co-codamol is, in this situ more appropriate I am sure, although not an expert it was certainly prescribed with both my bunionectomys.  I am concerned that you feel severe pain after  5 days.  Day 5 should be feeling marginally better but as others have said, the first two weeks are horrible.  I  did not need too many painkillers other than ibuprofen after the first week with both Lapidus surgeries.  Dont be afraid to consult your GP for further advice.  Good luck and I am sure things will improve, you are in the scary post operative stage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.