i had bunion surgery on both feet 2 wks ago

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 30, and a mum of 2 young children. I just wanted to post about my experience as I had searched for info before my treatment 2 wks ago and was put off by some comments.

here it is

I had both feet done on the same day. the procedure lasted 2hrs or so and I was asleep throughout. when I woke I was pain free as I had 'block' injections to numb the pain when I woke. I felt a tingle sensation but that was it. I started to feel a little pain that night and the nurse gave me tablets to help. The next morning I woke up it was painfull as the block had worn off but it was bearable. I took tablets and was able to watch tv then nap comfortably.

the next morning I had a physio go through some exercises with me then got me on my feet to take some steps. this was a little scary and painfull and took me a couple of attempts (a few tears) but I got there with the crutches and the special heel shoes. I had even managed the stairs (up & down) before I went home but it was hard work and left me tired.

my experience was pleasant and I had great care in the hospital. its been almost 2 weeks since my surgery and I can walk about (slowly) with my shoes and my pain is almost gone. The only thing that is hard is when I stand I get a blood rush to the feet and my feet have a throbbing sensation so I have to elevate them again . I can kind of bend my toes but im well aware it will be another 3-4 wks before I feel anywhere near 'normal' again.

il get my bandages removed in 2 days so il finally see my new feet.

any questions please ask

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Natasha,

Thank you for sharing. I had both of my feet done on February 13th and my operation sounds very similar to your in terms of anaesthetic and feet numbed. I had an overall positive experience, with the care at the

hospital through my recovery. Keeping feet elevated is key. I experienced the most discomfort when I was

on my feet too much, especially the first two weeks after surgery.

Best wishes for your continued recovery!

• Posted

You both are brave, brave women! Both feet at once, I don't know that I could do that. Hope you both get along well.
  • Posted

I echo Jenny's sentiment. Such courage to do both at once. I know there are a number of women in these forums who have done the same.....such courage! I wish you both the patience and fortitude you need to work your way to a speedy recovery. 😃
  • Posted

Thanks ladies it's more awkward than painful. I get a little twinge every now and the but I am a lot more mobile than I ever thought I'd thought I'd be. I'm still more or less housebound but I can get about the house fine .
  • Posted

hi all i am 54 this year and came out of hospital yesterday after having both my feet done ,i am in a little pain that is more like a dull tooth ache that i control with the pills the hospital gave me to come home with ,i am walking about slowly and with crutches i can manage the stairs better down than going up ,i read a lot of other peoples experiences who had this op and was almost put off having it but the only thing i can say is keep going regular with the pain killers they give you & let your body tell you when to stop & rest ,so far i have only been able to stand long enough to make a cup of tea .good luck to you all and hope you have a speedy recovery...
  • Posted

A speedy recovery to you, Barmeygran! This forum us helpful because it allows all to read and share all our

ranges of experiences with bunion surgery. I too was very afraid pre-surgery, by what I read from a number

of sources. Like all of us, I am glad the operation is behind me.

Thanks for your kind words, Jenny and Rena! All the best to you both! smile

• Posted

Hi Natasha,

I also had both feet done 2 weeks ago and went to hospital yesterday for the big reveal! I had little information prior to the op and wasn't  prepared for what I saw - any others feel same?? I managed to sneak a few pics and friends reassure me it looks good but I wasn't expecting so many scars. Anyway I'm interested that nobody seems to be bum shuffling which is what I have resorted to over last few weeks smile! I also have 2 young kids and it's a real struggle but try and do as much as I can for them.  I have had my dressings changed and advised to heel walk for 4 weeks again wasn't prepared for this and hoped to be back at work - not going to happen! I am thinking of hiring in some non impact exercise equipment perhaps a cross trainer.  As you are a few weeks on do you think at week 3 this is something I would manage over the next month .......so bored during the day and normally being active this is really frustrating me.  Good thing is no pain whatsoever and stopped medication after only a few days smile

• Posted

Hiya- I'm 8 weeks today- both feet done on 28th Feb. for me i've only just started getting about this last couple of weeks- and I mean doing a little more in the way of housework, the odd trip to the supermarke. I am having to learn to walk literally as all my life I haven't and my bio mechanics are completely different now. Not wishing to dampen your enthusiasm and of course everybody is different but I personally wouldn't be contemplating something like a cross trainer just yet- I'm building myself up to normal walking without discomfort slowly as I'm finding I can't yet put weight on the front of my foot as such and my toes don't touch the ground yet. Cycling is something I reckon I could cope with- just need to get my bike back from my daughter! Been off 8 weeks and looks like it's going to be 3 or 4 more for me as I work on my feet smile
    • Posted

Hi, not sure what happened but in the last week or so things have got so much easier so I am now 3 weeks and 5 days post op and on Saturday, after consultation via the phone with my consultant, I am now in Clark's sandals with a light dressing covering my wounds on both feet and getting around freely although not fully weight bearing.  I returned to work 2 days ago and all is going well.  Hopefully things are getting easier for you now. smile
  • Posted

hi natasha, 

i am making enquries at the min about getting both feet done, i live in ireland, can i ask you what type of surgery you had was it keyhole? and did they use any pins? i am tyring to gather as much info as possible before i go for a consultation, hope your recovery is going well 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.