I had carpal tunnel release surgery on June 1st

Posted , 4 users are following.

Okay so I had carpal tunnel release surgery on both wrists.😭 June 1st. My hands so still so sore but they do feel better. The only problem is my index finger still gets numb & tingles like it did before surgery on my right hand and my left hand my thumb is so sore and my wrists hurts sometimes on both wrists like it did before surgery so does that mean surgery didn't work for me or it's still healing and I need to give it more time.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Oh my goodness you just had surgery!!! Your hand is quite a compact little area with tons of nerves and tiny muscles. There is swelling and trauma in there that has to re-adjust and heal.

My thumb was never numb prior to surgery but after surgery it would get numb, which terrified me. I began to take that as a sign I was overdoing it. You had both hands done and  signature says you're a mother of 5. Just try to rest, ice and wiggle your fingers, make light fisty motions, take motrin if you can. It took a few months to totally heal, some people say a few weeks. Everybody is different but you are worrying WAY too early. My wrist also ached quite a bit, I don't know why. I tried wearing a splint at work, that made my wrist really ache.

• Posted

Thank you Nancy

I always think of the worst because my friend said hers stopped hurting 3 days after surgery.

• Posted

Hi. Definitely don't worry as i had 1 hand done just over 4mths ago and i sometimes still get numbness in the same fingers at night time. I spoke to the the physio and they said it can take up to 6mths sometimes a year until things settle.

• Posted

Oh a year wow I didn't realize it could take that long. Thank you.

• Posted

I am 6 weeks out from both hands and will sometimes get tingles and that electricity shooting if I bend, twist, move a certain way. Recovery is different from individual to individual. Be patient with yourself. Recovery is a process.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.