I had cataract surgery and 3 weeks after I have sudden blurred vision

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am 51 years old and had cataract surgery. My vision was amazing for 3 weeks. I woke on week 3 to blurred vision but its not normal blurred vision. Words look like they are disappearing like in a sentence only part of the letters appear and the rest disappear like looking through rain. Straight lines look squiggly like zig zaggy. Is this my vision now? I thought since my vision was amazing for the first 3 weeks that would be it. Its quite upsetting.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Am sorry to hear this experience.  What type lens did you have implanted?  Multifocal or monofocal?  Do you have same lens type in each eye or are they mixed? Thanks 🙏 

• Posted

Hi Marie, 

I had monofocal implanted two weeks ago and did not expect the compromise of close vision~ difficulty with phone, pill bottles, makeup , etc.  my distance is great but I feel I need more up close and my ophthalmologist said I have options, one of which is to do symfony Multifocal in my right eye now and new Rx for progressive lenses in glasses which would as I understand give me very similar vision in both eyes with glasses on and I also would be able to do other activities without glasses at all.  This seems way to go but I am still little conflicted as have read that there can be glare/halos with night driving with Multifocal.  I know this cannot  return to perfect after the surgery but I just pray for the best possible outcome.  My husband had the surgery about 9 years ago and has monofocal in both eyes with no need for glasses at all.  We didn’t even have Multifocal option then or was not presented.  We are all different and of course outcomes will be different.  I was just caught off guard with the close vision.  Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Hi Marie - good news is your vision was amazing for 3 weeks so likely the issue is not the lenses.   You should be contacting your opthamologist to make an appointment to find out what has happened.  It could be floaters that are affecting your vision or PCO.  I was told that PCO could occur at any time after surgery - within days/weeks or even years afterwards.  PCO is sometimes called a secondary cataract and it occurs when back of the capsule gets cloudy.  A simple YAG procedure will clear that up but you really should make an appointment to find out what is going on.

I assume you were given prescriptions of drops?  I was on an antibiotic drop and steroid drop for 4 weeks.  Are you still taking those?   You could also be experiencing dry eye.  You can purchase those at a pharmacy- there are many different brands.  I like Systane but you can try out a few to see which work best for you.

Best wishes to you.

• Posted

I’ve been battling “the smudge” for over a year. I’ve had several follow up visits and they keep prescribing eye drops. Nothing works.  I’m thinking maybe it’s a defective lens. I have an appt in April with my surgeon. Hopefully I will get some answers. I will post my results.

It’s like I need to have my eye washed out and kind of scrubbed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.