I had cortisone steroid injections today for osteoarthritis in my left foot.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Previously for 4-5 years up until maybe a year ago, I endured Plantars Fasciitus which finally disappeared after several Laser treatments from my Dr. Now I have Osteoarthritis in my left foot, with a ganglion cyst, a tear and metatarsal injury. I saw an orthopaedic surgeon today and followed with Cortisone Steroid shots on the top of my foot which is very painful. The needles were extremely painful and now sitting here staying off it. Wondering how long before I see any results, Surgeon said few weeks, Administrator said if I don't see any results in a week then it wont work. Next step is fusion surgery. Has anyone had any positive results from the needles? Also, my toe is curling up and nerve pain. I have been on the orthotics, ice, balls etc for years, cannot wear any closed in shoes, cannot live life, cannot go for my regular walks and just putting on weight from no exercise as the pain is too much. Any positive words would be welcomed, I've been going through foot pain for years, got rid of one problem then another one appears. Very depressing...

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I hope the steroid injections help you, unfortunately I too found them excrutiatingly painful to have for my thumb joints and it didnt have any helpful affect, so I didnt have any more done.  So sorry you're in so much pain, I really sympathise.  I supposedly have OA in several areas - neck, both thumb joints, one ankle (due to a major accident which killed off the cartilage) and now I have nauseating back pain, so I'm assuming I've developed it there too.  I have found some relief for inflammatory pain from using fresh ginger.  It can be minced or grated and steeped in boiling water then drunk like tea (lemon and sugar can be added if wanted).  I mix it with hand cream or body lotion and rub it into the affected joints then leave it on for a couple of hours before washing off.  It has a warming effect and seems to take down a lot of the inflammation, and pain.  Only use the fresh root, not powdered or other forms.  Whilst it wont cure the underlying issue, meditation is good to help cope with pain - particularly Mindfulness.  It helps focus the mind away from it and has had really wonderful results in those in chronic pain.

• Posted

Hi. I had the same injections in my lower back and pelvis on Friday. The pain from the pelvic injection was unbearable. I am not feeling and difference yet either. And I won’t be having them again. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.