I had gb surgery about 2months go.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Now. I'm encountering stomach burning. Do. You . Think. It's bile. Or. Could it be an ulcer. Somebody any suggestions. Help!!!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The gallbladder acts as a tank to store bile.  Once it is removed, the bile had nowhere else to go.  Cut out fatty, spicy or rich foods from your diet.  Bland food is best.  Perhaps try an OTC antacid or ask your doctor for a PPI.  Milk is also great for getting rid of heartburn.

• Posted

I had GB surgery about 2 months ago to and have also been suffering with the same thing. As Pippa said I can only eat bland food little and often I find I can't eat a full meal anymore other wise I'm sick to

• Posted

I had mine out 6 months ago but it was at 2 months after my stomach burning started. I got some omeprozole (I think that's how you spell itwink and that settled it down mostly. I still get heartburn after chocolate, fizzy drinks etc and just have to watch what I have. Trial and error I guess! Still glad I had it out though x

• Posted

Hi Margaret. Hang in there. I will. It's good to discuss our problems. Thanks for your input. 😎

• Posted

A test to give yourself to determine if it's bile or acid, take an H2 blocker like zantac, pepcid ac, or tagament and if the stomach burning pain decreases, then it's acid.  If it doesn't help or makes it worse, then it could be bile because acid reducers do not work on bile.  Normally if it's bile backing up into the stomach, many people will suffer from nausea.  Do you have nausea? It could actually be the complete opposite and you're lacking bile.  People who suffer from a lack of bile after gallbladder removal will suffer from acid indigestion and/or heartburn. Which is why many people end up having to take digestive enzymes after having their gallbladder removed, specifically ox-bile.  But yeah, take an H2 blocker when the burning starts up and see if it helps. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.