I had Hyperthyroid symptoms but my blood test said Hypothyroid

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello I had two years of doctors trips to get me to this point. They finally gave me a diagnois of hypothroid after my TSH level was at 9. I had all the symptoms of hyper but blood said hypo. I have been taking 25mg of levothryoxine for 5 weeks. Initially it made me feel a bit sick (for 2 days) then I felt much better (2 weeks) now I feel the same as I did before and have started to gain wieght (half a stone in 3 weeks)!!! I walk 5 miles a day and go to the gym 3 timesa week and heat healthy. I have always been skinny and never EVER had any problems with weight gain, in fact I have always struggled to GAIN weight. My period is also 6 days late (and no I'm not pregnant I have taken a test). Has anyone else had any of these issues.

Is it possible I'm being under treated? What else could be causing my problems. 

Thank you in advance for your help and advice

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Anna:

Correction:  To serum prolactin levels it should read NOT OKAY as it should be under 209.  Please tell me the reference range on this that is on your report as it can vary from country to country and or Lab used, and I am in the USA. 

Did you have a baby recently?  Just asking as it caould be a cause of this.

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly,

No I have never had a baby. The reference range on the lab test says between 102 - 450.

What does elevated prolactin mean?

Anna

• Posted

Anna:

That is why I asked the range.  It should be lower.  It means the Pituitary Gland which works directly with the Thyroid making TSH (thyroid Stimulating Hormone) and it seems to be putting out a bit much hormone.  It should come down when your TSH comes down a bit more.

So I think it is only temporary and will correct itself now that you are on the 50mcg Levo.

Keep me posted after the next blood draw, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you For your help Shelly, I will keep you posted

Anna

• Posted

I have been taking 50mg of levo for 2 weeks and taking a multi vit I feel 100 times better. Still not there yet but I can't beleive the difference. Thank you for all your help. 
    • Posted

I see your doctor only tested your TPO antibodies.  There is the other antibody test that was mentioned which is the Tgab.  Although your Tpo antibodies were in normal range and low, you can still have high Tgab antibodies and have Hashimoto's.  My Tpo antibodies were low but my Tgab's were very high which would indicate Hashimoto's.  Perhaps your doctor can check these antibodies also.
    • Posted

Hi Shelly,

I had my new blood test 2 weeks ago. They didn't test my prolactine this time but my TSH was at 0.2 so I was over medicated on 50mg. Is it normall to have this response?

They have now changed my dosage so I am taking 25mg one day 50mg another.

Fingers crossed this gets it right.  

• Posted

Hello Anna:

Some people need an odd dose like 35mcg and the medication comes in 25mcg and then 50mcg.  It seems like the doctor is trying to give you a 25mcg and then a 50mcg  so it will give you a bit more than 25mcg as you alternate between the two.  It is normal to go from HYPO on the TSH scale and then go to HYPER ZONE,  in a few months.  Each of us are different and some get no where on 50mcg and others are overmedicated.

It does take some trial and error to find what works on you but this way can help.

Keep us updated.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.