I had my annual copd review this week

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am a bit confused by the results.  According to the nurse via spirometry my FEV1 has increased from 66% to 78% in just over a year and I can't see any reason why.  I actually feel worse with more sob.

The nurse ignored my 3 chest infections in 4 month,  my 'severe' symptoms such as not being able to keep up with my peers walking on the flat and also having to stop for breath after walking on the flat.   When she did my sats they were only 91% and they are often as low as that.  

She said all these are because I am still smoking.  Could this be the case?  I don't want any smoking advice please as I know I must give up but do you think I should investigate these symptons further?

She said I looked a good colour and wasn't out of breath talking to her so she wasn't worried.   

I think this is rubbish and she is fobbing me off.  What do you all think please?  

Thanks  Bev x

0 likes, 69 replies

69 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Please please please STOP SMOKING NOW ,,and then ask for a referral to the pulmary rehab course ,,,,your GP will arrange this for you ,,,you will do an 8 week course of light exersise ,,,,yes I said exersise ,,,,and you will be able to do this ,and it's also education on medication etc ,,,,,but first things first ,,,,give up them dam cigeratetts ,,,,,then you will be able to walk and keep up with your friends, good luck ,
    • Posted

Thank you Nanny.  I have done PR.   So you think my symptons are purely the results of smoking then.   

I know I need to stop smoking but easier said than done.   The more people tell me too the more pressure I put myself under and last time I had a quit date I had a sort of meltdown the night before so I need to take the pressure off myself.  This is why I asked for no smoking advice please.   I know it all but can't do the stress while people are continually telling me to give up.   I know you mean well but please don't.  

Bev x

• Posted

I'm going to be blunt:  she is probably losing patience with people who keep smoking and still expect top notch medical treatment.

I add that I am an ex smoker, I stopped before I was diagnosed with COPD and before I had a heart attack, after more than 45  years.

You already know what you need to do

The 

• Posted

Yes I do thank you Jude.  So let me clarify - are you saying that because I am still smoking I should not receive medical help?  

If you are going to make judgements like that most people wouldn't qualify like the obese,  those who don't exercise,  those who eat bad diets and etc, etc,  

This wasn't my question which was are my symptoms I listed on my post a result of smoking or not?  

• Posted

As someone who's not only fat but smoked for years, which is why I have emphysema, I certainly wasn't saying any such thing.

I was merely trying to give you the possible reason for the nurse's attitude towards you.

Maybe they are because of smoking, maybe they're not - there's only one way to find out but it may be too late, as it has proved to be in my case, being diagnosed 4 years after I stopped.

• Posted

Ah I understand why you feel like you do about smoking now.   You make a very good point - thank you jude.  Time to make another serious attempt to quit and I will succeed one day.

Bev x

• Posted

Go for it Bev and remember the longer you put off giving up the shorter and more restricted & painful your life will be .......

Just do it one day at a time or one 1/2 an hour at a time, access all the support and products which are available now and remind yourself you want to live as long as possible for yourself and your loved ones.

Good luck!   There's a book which has helped a lot of people called "The only way to quit smoking" or something similar, not sure beause I've loaned it to a family member who's just quit, partly after observing how much emphysema is restricting my enjoyment of life.

• Posted

quote hypercat:  "..are my symptoms I listed on my post a result of smoking or not?  "

The answer to your question is yes they most likely are.   With each cigarette you smoke will cause further lung damage, as the lungs weaken through this damage you are more prone to lung infections, these in turn will cause further lung damage, and so it goes on.  Smoking with lung damage is going to cause sob.

• Posted

To add - if you are thinking your medical advisers are talking rubbish and are fobbing you off, you could consider seeking a 2nd professional medical opinion. 

Good luck with medics, smoking, health and life.

• Posted

Thank you Vee that is what I was asking daft though it may seem.  Would smoking also cause my sats to be low - often 90-92 at rest?  

What I can't understand is why my FEV1 rose by 12% when I am still smoking.   Do you understand that please?   That is what I want to ask my doctor about as I am not sure the spirometry was carried out correctly - it doesn't make sense!    Bev x 

• Posted

I would say yes the smoking could cause your sats to be low because by smoking there is more co2 in the blood, blood oxygen levels would be affected.

Spirometry tests showing FEV1% are not fixed.  They can give an  entirely different reading from one test to the next, I believe many things can affect the change either way.  Lung infection and no lung infection, a cold and no cold,  narrowed airways caused by weather or irritants, asthma etc etc or high quality air days. Although in my own experiences I can feel like my airways are narrowed but can get a relatively good FEV reading.  There seems to be no accounting for some things.  Although I do wonder if air pressure is at a level that is good for the lungs our ability to expell air is greatly improved. 

• Posted

Please everyone if you are going to go on about smoking please don't reply.  I am asking whether people think my symptoms are a result of smoking.   I don't need or want a lecture about giving up thank you or being told (in other words) that I am stupid for still smoking.   I know I am but that isn't the question I asked.  

Thank you.    

• Posted

If you feel breathless with improving FEV1 then you could have a different problem. Do you wake up breathless after lying flat? Are you on any meds for BP or heart?  Go and see the doctor and push for a chest X-ray and if that is normal a BNP blood test (checks to see if your heart is having pumping problems). 

Do you know what the spirometry results were in terms of litres? FEV1 is number of litres of air pushed out in the first second of the breath out and the FVC is the total amount you push put after a maximum breath in. You can then work out the ratio which also helps the assessment.

• Posted

Hi, I sympathise with you my son has fibrotic lung disease his right

lung doesn't fuction atall he suffers badly with breathlessness.

he isn't able to walk far. He was always complaint to GP who just shrugged and said it was all because he smoked. It took something else to happen to get X-ray and find out what was wrong with him.

i think when you are a smoker they blame everything on that.

he like yourself find he just can't give up.

i think as smokers you get second class treatment and no sympathy.

sorry can't be more helpful as someone who has never smoked.

ann

• Posted

Thank you very much gpgp.  I have never had any tests for heart problems but my blood pressure is always very good.   I had a chest x-ray last year but had to push for one as I was told I don't need one.   This was the only one I had since I was diagnosed with copd around 5 years ago.

I don't know the FVC and to be honest I don't know the first thing about working out ratios etc.  

I think my main concern is that because I have been and am a smoker that I have been diagnosed with copd because it is a common smokers illness and nothing else has been considered.   I have heard a number of people saying this has happened to them and it turns out there were other issues instead or as well as if you see what I mean.   In other words just because I am a smoker doesn't mean something else isn't going on as well.   My doctors refuse to consider anything else and I don't know the right questions to ask or even if I have the right seeing as I am still smoking and would feel guilty asking for more tests.   Not sure what to do.

Bev x

• Posted

Hi, I think if X-ray  doesn't always show other problems my son had to have scan and then bronchoscopy, you should be offered more tests if he

had not had these he would not have found out his right lung damage.

just because he smoked !!! Ann

• Posted

That's it exactly ann.   If you are a smoker these days everything is put down to that when it might not be.   Medics have a one track mind don't they?   While I do know smoking causes many problems gp's etc. should be able to see beyond that.   

Being a smoker makes me feel second class and instead of having a go at me sympathy and assurance I am not weak and have the will power to quit would be much more helpful in my battle.   But it's easier to bash a smoker instead.   When a couple of friends had a go at me I asked them if they would help me give up instead and give me support etc.  and this stopped them in their tracks.   They didn't want to do this they just wanted to have a go at me.

I am very sorry about your son - does he want a quit buddy?   He does really need to give up too.   Thanks for your reply.

Bev x

• Posted

Hi, yes I really wish he would quit, but he just said he has tried and finds it

really difficult, he knows he has lung damage luckily he was at the hospital 

for something else they examined his chest, sent him for X-ray showed shadow on his lung sent him for X-ray and he was then referred to consultant where he was given bronchoscopy where they found damage

he has a few inhalers etc and now has six monthly checks.

i have been trying to persuade him to get E ciggie, but his girlfriend also smokes. I just hope he will try as he's only forty five and coughs constantly.

if it had been just his GP he wouldn't have been referred as anything he sees him with is always oh well you smoke.

i feel for you maybe you could try the e ciggies and let me know. Good luck

ann

• Posted

Giving up an addiction is difficult, but dying sooner than you need to is even harder, I reckon

Have the e-cigarettes been cleared of potential health risks?  I saw a UK doco recently which said they haven't been researched enough and are just another ploy by the tobacco companies to keep people hooked on their product.  Still, presumably still better than "real" fags as are nicotine gum and lozeges, sprays, etc.....

• Posted

I'm becoming increasingly concerned that comments such as yours and others on here are minimising the dangers of smoking which has so many detrimental effects on our bodies.

It's part of addiction to be in denial about the harm one is doing to oneself:  I know because I've been there, I know all the excuses and procrastinations and self-delusion and I will continue to point this out to people who are still hooked, not judgmentally but as matters of fact.

A quit buddy is a great idea and I'd like to remind others that many smokers managed to give it up before there were such things as nicotine replacement therapy, hypnotherapy, support groups, e fags etc etc etc as there are now.

• Posted

Which must mean that those of us who don't/can't must be lacking in will power?    You might not mean to be judgemental Jude but you are coming over as that by what you say and how you say it.  

You can shout and yell at me all you like but it doesn't help me - what does help is hearing other people's battles with ciggies and people who are genuinly concerned for me.   

We are all different and I don't react to bullying or scare tactics - if I did I would have been one of those who packed it in. All this does is make me more stressed and less able to think positively about myself and that isn't helping me is it?  You think you are offering support but in reality you are not.   

Please don't reply to me any more unless you can be supportive in a way I can relate to.

• Posted

I'm not being judgmental or yelling or shouting or bullying or using scare tactics, and I never mentioned will power which in my experience has nothign to do with giving up any addiction.

think you must be confusing me with someone else.

I am totally supportive of anyone who genuinely wants to give up smoking but I'm not into supporting other people's addictions by not passing on what I know from my own experience and others close to me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.