I had my first colonoscopy today. Although I was give...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my first colonoscopy today.Although I was given an opioid and a benzodiazepine to relax me, I found the procedure almost intolerable. I will always remember the large amount of discomfort that left me moaning and groaning throughout the procedure, as I was rotated on each side, and then on my stomach.

The nurse was massaging and squeezing on my abdomen to help the colonoscope to pass through, which added to the large amount of discomfort I was already feeling.

If it had lasted a minute more, I would have dissolved into sobbing.

The physician later agreed that there was a large amount of pain, although I was very lucky, as my colon was 'clean' (normal).

Although I know I am very fortunate to have a normal exam, I will never repeat this type of scope. The pain was too significant.

[i:fb66a07ee8]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:fb66a07ee8]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had pretty much the same experience. I had my colonoscopy today after years of IBS symptoms. I was given the sedative but for some reason they didn't have much of an effect on me and the whole procedure was horrific and painful, so much so that i was pretty much screaming in pain. Everybody has a different experience and the majority of people will say they didn't even remember it happening and felt no pain, i guess i was just unlucky.

The colonoscopy showed that i have a healthy bowel which is good news as i will NEVER have another colonoscopy done again.

• Posted

not a colonoscopy but i had ERCP endoscopy 3 times and each tine the sedation never worked. each ocassion required holding down. sedation does not seem to work as well on some people thats life i supose.
  • Posted

stop frightening other people with your bad experiences,it could put others off ever having a colonoscopy which could be saving a life.I have had bowel cancer and believe me if a colonoscopy could have saved me from it (no matter how bad 20 mins of pain would be) I would have had one.I went on to have half my bowel removed,I was one of the lucky ones,I recovered but a few of my relatives didnt.because it runs in my family we are all have regular colonoscopys,ok its not great fun but neither is the alternative and to be honest we have never felt much pain while having it,we all agree the worst part is the laxative and the starving,but there again, you get used to that even after a couple of hours.PLEASE dont be put off. :x
  • Posted

All of you are right to say what you have. Bowel cancer screening is a marvellous thing but I do believe that patients who have had a bad colonoscopy experience have every right to say so. As I understand it the facts are these:- For about half the men and women who have colonoscopy it is merely uncomfortable, for another 40% it is painful but bearable, and sadly for 10%, mainly women particularly underweight women or those who have had previous operations for hysterectomy etc., it is unbearable and usually has to be stopped. Potential patients have a right to know this and also that the sedative given, usually midazolam, stops patients from remembering just how bad it was and therefore unable to report it accurately.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.