I had my first cortisone injection yesterday and I'm carefully

Posted , 4 users are following.

watching the pain level and making notes. I went in with level 4 while walking and came out with the lidocane giving me a level 1. This morning still at level 1 but I can feel the lidocane playing out. I know the cortisone is supposed to take several days to take effect. The Ortho wants me back on 10 May for a report on pain levels in the first hours after the injection. I was first intersted in a total hip repacement as I am bone on bone right hip, however at age 86 with chronic kidney disease stage 3, heart disease with triple bypass 6 years ago and OA of the lower spine and neck plus a few other problems, I feel that the risks are great unless there is no other pain control. Can anyone relate their experience with the cortisone injection during the early stages? I know there is a good chance it will not last too long, but a couple of months and I would go back again. I was not at all uncomfortable.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I can well understand you not wanting to have a THR at your age and with your conditions unless it is absolutely necessary. I've had only one cortisone injection, and that was in my sacroiliac joint, to see if it would stop my gluteal pain. It did not.

I hope the injection will be helpful to you in relieving the pain. However, it is my understanding that you are usually only allowed to have a total of 3 per year, or about every 4 months, so if it only worked for a couple of months, you'd have 2 more months of pain before you could have another. Still that may be an improvement over what you are dealing with now. You may get lucky and get relief for longer.

Wishing you all the best, Paul!

• Posted

Hello again AnnieK,

My injection lasted less than a week as far a real relief. I returned to the Ortho a couple weeks after the injection to talk about options. I explained my misgivings about a hip replacement and wanting to find a way to maintain some quality of life with a cane and pain meds. He said I was in no immediate danger and put me in for a second injection if I desired. I accepted but I'm starting research to see if second one can be any better. If nothing positive, I'm going to cancel. I'm looking for any personal experiences.

• Posted

Ugh, less than a week of relief, so sorry!

It is almost impossible to get good pain relief for bone-on-bone fropiom medications. I have read so many posts from people who suffer so much before their THRs. Even opioids often don't work. If they do work, they become less effective over time and you need to keep on increasing the dose. Such a difficult situation. 

I'm still having pain problems in my legs and back, and I use a cane or trekking poles when outside of my house. They really help me to get around for longer distances, and I feel so much more secure with the aids. I hope you will use them if needed. They can prevent some pain and give you necessary stability.

I doubt if I would have a cortisone injection if I only got one week of relief from it. While they are generally pretty safe, there can be complications.

Good luck with finding relief, Paul.

• Posted

Thank you AnnieK,

That's good info and advice.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.