i had my gall bladder out last thursday

Posted , 10 users are following.

my husband is adament that we are going camping this friday

i am still sore and tender and feel sick the hospital said no driving heavy lifting etc for 2 to 3 weeks 

i must admit i am really scared about going what should i do i dont want him to thinki am week my friends little boy is going aswell  and i am scared that she will fall out with me if i dont go 

any advice 

i dont want to let everyone down 

caroline

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

If he was any kind of husband he would put you first. You aren’t feeling well after surgery!! If you aren’t up to it tell him and ask if you can postpone the trip or suggest they go without you? 

I’m pretty sure my hubby wouldn’t question cancelling if I wasn’t up to it xx 

• Posted

thankyou so much for replying no i just feel exhausted and sore xx
  • Posted

Hi Caroline, you come first always! I’ve just had my Gallbladder out last Monday and there is no way on gods earth I would  be able to go camping. It’s a major surgery end of the day. Please! Listen to the advice you need to recover and rest. I can’t go in the car at all at the moment. Too sore and terrified of my stitches hurting although they are coming out this week on Thursday. 

Please don’t worry what anyone else thinks they are not experiencing what you are going through. Be kind to yourself and you will recover fully and be well. Sending hugs and wishes for a speedy recovery for us both. Kind regards Jo xx

• Posted

i know it is major surgery  i think some people think that its put on but its not 

i must admit i have been really worried about going  camping and deep down i know myself i cant go

just pottering about the house and i am sore and tender

i was upset last night my eldest son is 24 and i was sittingon the sofa in pain and he said mum you are just playing the operation card .

my problem is i have always put everyone else first 

thankyou so much jo again for your message 

and hope thursday goes okay hugs and best wishes to you also

regards caroline xxx

• Posted

Hi Caroline, I certainly know where your coming from with putting others first. I’ve done it all my life, but I do put me first taken me a long time. Just remember if you don’t love and care for yourself then there is nothing to give out to others. Value and care for yourself you. Let others care for you, I understand that would hurt the comment your son made to you. 

Tell him ive looked after my family and love you all. Now I need your support. 

It’s tough I know, I’m sore and in pain which is starting to get easier, each day. I hate coming to a standstill. But realise I have to look after me! To get better. 

Here for you any time you need a chat, someone to share your thoughts. Remember your not alone! Joanne ❤️

• Posted

Hi Caroline, I had my gallbladder out over a year ago and I certainly wouldn't recommend going anywhere so soon after surgery and it is major surgery you've had remember. I was off work for 3 weeks and even when I went back I still didn't feel right for a few of weeks. Obviously everyone is different but 2 weeks is generally a minimum time to relax and reco-operate. 

I don't want to worry you but you must rest as you don't want to overdo things and end up back in hospital and I know from this site that this has happened to some.

Basically Caroline if you don't feel ready then you mustn't go, you're not going to feel right for several months, recovering from gallbladder surgery is a slow process and I suspect your husband doesn't realise how major this is. I know its hard for people to understand as you've only got 4 smallish incisions but the big stuff is going on inside and that takes alot longer to heal than the outside.

I know everyone will be upset but you really do need to put yourself first in this instance. Perhaps you could change it for the end of the summer instead as you may feel a bit more like it then.

Take care of yourself.

• Posted

thankyou katherine for your reply 

i know i think people think with it being keyhole that it is nothing major 

the hospital said 2 to 3 weeks but it could take longer you are right everyone is different this is just day 6 for me i tried to make my bed and i was in agony i try to do little bits but then i am in agony so its not worth it.

i know myself that i cant go camping i struggle to settle in my bed at night let alone on a camp bed

no i dont think he realises just how serious it is or how much pain i am in .

thats my problem i always put everyone else first but in this instant i do need to put myself first i have an 8 year old son and i dont want to end up back in hospital .

i have been so emotional aswell 

just sitting on the sofa just now and i am really sore 

thankyou for replying and you take care xxx

i hate letting people down 

• Posted

The only things I did was make cups of tea and relax on the settee and sleep!

Please be careful and don't rush getting back to normal too quickly. It really does take time to heal, especially on the inside and don't forget your body has to get use to functioning without a gallbladder too. I found if I moved too quickly or twisted my body would give me a sharp pain as if too say its too soon.

Take care of yourself and take it easy.

• Posted

Hi

I had my gallbladder out last September. When I got my date I asked my surgeon if I would be fit enough to go away for a short break has we already had a holiday booked for a couple of weeks after surgery.

Surgeon said "Yes you will be absolutely fine and should feel like your old self by the time you go "

So my husband and I decided we would still go .

Off we went ..... worst mistake ever , car journey was horrendous felt every lump and bump in road !!

The rest of the trip was spend not being able to eat much and if I did payed for it by being on the loo.

Majority of the trip I spent in bed as I felt washed out and in pain.

All I can advice is everyone recovers differently , but most importantly listen to your own body .

If you know yourself you shouldn't be going, Don't go !!!

Our trip was utterly miserable and a waste of money.

I wish now we had delayed the trip until I felt well again.

You've had massive surgery and will need proper time to recover .

Hope you make the desicion that is right for you and not to please everyone else !

It took me 7 weeks to even get back to work and months to feel any kind of normal.

Some people bounce back others don't.

Hope you have a speedy recovery and most importantly listen to what your body is telling you.

Take care .

• Posted

hi ya how are you 

oh gosh what a shame hope that you are okay now .

yes i do know deep down that it would be a big mistake to go i am just so sore and tender and i just feel exhausted and no energy and very emotional .

it is massive surgery but obviously people that havent had it done dont exactly know what you go through

and how much pain there can be 

i tried to make the bed and i was in pain with that my back aches and i feel sick which is horrible .

the hospital said 2 to 3 weeks this is only day 6 ..

you are right some people are diffrent to others 

thankyou so much and yes i will do the right thing definately no camping for me 

take care caroline .

• Posted

Has we speak I'm sat at home waiting to go into hospital for a colonoscopy. I'm booked in for 5 pm .

Since gallbladder removal (which I don't regret ) I have since been battling severe and urgent bowel moments mainly on a morning !! So there is obviously something still going on with me .

You are definitely doing the right thing by not going. And you should not feel guilty .

I struggled going away to a B&B with a proper bed so no way could have camped.

Look after yourself x

• Posted

Caroline,

This is where you must put your health first.  Absolutely do not go camping this Friday.  It is much too soon after surgery.  Your body needs time to heal.  You should be getting plenty of rest right now.  Your husband will just have to go without you, or take the trip at a later date when you are feeling better.  Take care. 

• Posted

Please do not go anywhere for at least 4 to 6 weeks; it is the time to heal your inside incision sites.

• Posted

No way should you put yourself at risk and go camping !!

It's early days , anything can happen. You could start with diarrhoea or something

else . Please tell your husband you can't go , put yourself first for once and

Don't take any risks, no stretching or lifting . If hubby doesn't understand let him

go and you stay home and rest . Get hubby to get you some food in and sit back

and take it easy !!

• Posted

Sweetheart if you don't feel good, just be honest & tell them(ALL of them), you just had surgery & if you are like me, you will do ALL kinds of things you shouldn't do, depending on how far.....maybe you could visit for a few hours but, if youre going to have to pack, load, unload, setup and all the running around(plus nothing worse than feeling sick...in the bush)....explain & if they don't understand, they will get over it!!Best Wishes & YOU DECIDE💟

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.