I had my gall bladder removed a week ago and have no energy

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi its a week ago today that my gall bladder was removed, i was booked in as a day case but ended up staying in overnight as i had a hematoma which was drained in theatre. Im feeling bruised etc but pain free, my only concern is tiredness, i have little energy and have lots of naps during the day. My appetite is fine but i am constipated so am taking lactulose. Has anyone else felt the same? Many thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lisa73694,

I had mine removed in March and have suffered from terrible lethargy since having the op. It was definitely worse for a few weeks post surgery, but still can't seem to regain my energy levels. It is a major op even though it's a day case, so it's still early days. Hopefully your energy will return quickly x

• Posted

I had mine removed on the 13th of July plus an ovary and tube removed. They were a surprise surgery addition. Lo . I'm have the same tiredness, some aching not bad though. Just can't be up for long not doing anything much I folded a load of towels and emptied and loaded dishwasher. I think it was to much. Idk any ideas when these feelings will be gone?
  • Posted

Yes I would say that it is normal to feel tired just one week after the surgery - providing you don't have any complications your energy levels will gradually improve of the coming weeks.  I had mine out earlier this year. 
  • Posted

these are Symptoms common post Operative ly Constpation Wind.. Lactulose is good.. The anaesthetic makes the bowel sluggish.. Take mint cordial if you have wind .. Drink hot lemon water and eat porridge this will get you going again..it takes the body time to regain its energy stores post Op.. Sleep all you need and eat plenty of Protien ( chicken Fish Cheese Ham .. Green salads.
  • Posted

Like otherfolk having had their gallbladder removed I expected to feel fine after a few weeks. I am in my 70s but generally fit and I am still not back to my normal levels of energy. I got to feeling very depressed about this so I am now on antidepressants. I think I am better than a few weeks ago but given that the operation was 6 months ago now it is pretty frustrating. Surgeons don't tell you that it is a major operation even if you have it done laproscopically. If you are healing and gradually wind and other internal slight abnormal function improves I guess you just have to be patient. Good luck

• Posted

Doctors don't have time these days Nurses don't either.. It's down to the patient to ask questions or ask for information .. Times have changed. When a patient signs the authorisation document for an operation, this is when questions should be put to the Doctor/Surgeon. when a person is older it takes twice as long to recover.
  • Posted

These are very early days lisa. I had my gallbladder out at end of April day surgery no complications.

I was having naps at your stage.

Remember you have had surgery.

Hope you continue to improve.

Give yourself time.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah

• Posted

Many thanks to all who have responded to my post, it's always good to get other people's input who have experienced the same thing. I wish you all well and will keep you posted on how I get on. I'm glad I had the op cos to be free of gallbladder pain is great. Big hugs to you all xx
    • Posted

That's the biggest bonus - being pain free. Just listen to your body and rest as much as you need. In a few months you'll hardly remember you had the op.
    • Posted

I had my gallbladder out at end of April.

Although I am better than I was still having stomach cramps and slight constipation. A GP said to me this morning that this was still quite early days and it would settle down.

So in a few months time you'll hardly remember you had the op unfortauntely has been a bit unrealistic for me.

Would be interested to hear how you are doing now.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah xx

• Posted

I feel very tired even though I am not doing that much, a week after my op, but I think that's fairly normal, I too am terribly constipated but again I think that's fairly normal with the anasthetic and painkillers. I had no complications so I think you need to just give yourself some time and let your body do what is needed, to regain your strength and energy . Take care x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.