I had my Nissen Fundoplication a week ago and seem to be...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I had my Nissen Fundoplication a week ago and seem to be recovering OK. I am still on porridge & soup but am going to try mash tomorrow. The only side effect I seem to be having is over-production of saliva and sometimes when I burp I get a load of froth in my mouth - has any else experienced this and can you explain it - will it go away? The great thing is I no longer have the acid taste in my mouth and the constant nausea I had before the op. So far so good.

[i:fa1e6cc800]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:fa1e6cc800]

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Don't worry I am having the same trouble with the saliva (it's quite thick as well) I also seem to have more trouble drinking than eating weird huh? I had my op end of Jan and it is going away slowly. Also I can eat most things now. Hang in there it gets better.

Lib x

[i:7d1d7147c8]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7d1d7147c8]

• Posted

Lib,

Glad to hear that your on the mend hun,I hope you go from strength to strength :ok::ok::ok::ok:

[i:92e4741a82]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:92e4741a82]

• Posted

Lib, thanks for your reply. I'm still on the mash but then it is only 17 days post op. I found trouble drinking too but small sips works best. Has your saliva cleared up yet? Mine is almost like glue! Would appreciate any advice. Thanks, Sharon

[i:e5fd00c942]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:e5fd00c942]

• Posted

Hi. I'm just at week 4 and have had all the same symptoms that you have. Its still difficult to eat solids, the problem is trying to get your brain to be sympathetic to your new stomach. Your brain is still thinking normal size meals rather than small portions. My problem has been stomach cramp across the bottom of the rib cage, my consultant said to use Gripe Water as its a result of eating too much or too fast. Dont eat baked beans or peas and let bread disolve in your mouth before swallowing.

It's a big operation and you need to pace yourself, everyone is different. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.