I had ocular migraine twice without otherwise experiencing migraines?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Two years ago I had a ocular migraine for the first time. At least that's what I found out on google about my experience. What happened is I was stressed and suddenly I start seeing colors floating around on one side in my field of vision, even with my eyes closed I saw them. I completely freaked out as I thought something really bad had happened to my brain but in about 30 minutes it was over and I got an awful headache instead.

Headaches I experience quite often in the last couple of years. I used to take painkillers for that several days a week but then I stopped doing that as it's obviously bad and i'm pretty sure it's just stress induced headaches. I have no symptoms of migraine.

I got this ocular migraine again last year. I wasn't doing anything and wasn't stressed, I was just watching tv and suddenly I notice a blurry spot in my vision field triggered by bright colors like white mainly. It soon develops from a blurry spot to colors again floating around on one side in sort of a half-circle in my vision field but this time I handle it much better as I expect it to only last 30 minutes which it did and then I got a really bad a headache just like the time it happened a year before. I never consulted any doctor about this and i've sort of felt it's useless to do so this long after. I have however consulted doctors before about my headaches but only been told to keep taking painkillers, and that "headaches are normal, deal with it" pretty much so I haven't gotten any help from doing that. I wonder is it possible to get ocular migraines just like that and not actually suffer from migraine or is it possible to suffer from migraine without knowing?? I tried keeping a headache diary for a few weeks but I couldn't find any red thread in my notes in terms of possible triggers.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Safiya, Migraines can have numerous triggers; foods, screens, lights, medication, emotions & etc...They can come with a visual precursor called an aura, it can be different for each headache & from person to person, usually you get sensitivity to light, sound, smell, nausea, vertigo & etc....etc... and it can progress to severe headache, it is possible to have mostly visual issues and only the headache, vertigo with an occular migraine(there are a few types of migraines) it is also possible to have a post-drone issue where the other symptoms stay after the headache is gone...migraines can be a very complex neurological condition but, if you have NOT had a headache in a year, you should be glad & just deal with them IF you get them; worry, stress, anxiety etc..can actually trigger migraines, so unless you have symptoms....dont even THINK about it...It may be impossible to figure out what caused a headache a year ago but, if you start getting them regularly, keep a journal to try to find triggers and see your DR...I hope you NEVER have another one EVER...Take Care & BEST WISHES💒🌈🎶♾💞🐾🍀☮

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.