i had op on both feet for mortons neuroma

Posted , 4 users are following.

and i am in more pain now than i ever was for over a year i was given cortisone injections but then the consultant told me that i could not have them any longer as the side effect it makes the ball of your feet go thin so decided to go ahead and have the op on both feet i was in pain after but this was only to be expected but 3 months later i am in agony all the time and i am well worse off than i was before the op i am in chronic pain all the time i take 30/500mg of cocodomil 8 a day and now i am on 900mg of gabapentin which is a nerve tablet besides ibruprofen gel and nothing seems to touch the pain i actually cry with the pain my life has been limited so much that i am totally depressed when i went back to see the consultant she said there was  4 neuromas and they were huge but then when she examined my feet she thought i may have matatarsalgia and with my feet being so thin and not much flesh on them she explained that i am walking on my for which there is no cure just about getting the painkilling medicine right i went to see my consultant again last week and now she is sending me for a scan as she is not sure if the neuromas have returned one thing i can honestly say i wish i had never had the operation i am a lot worse off and i was walking with a stick because of the pain but that has through my back out i am now having to walk with 2 sticks i would love to hear if this has happened to anyone else x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gerda. I am so sorry you are suffering such pain. I too had mortons neuroma surgery, just over 4 months ago. I only had the right foot done, and I also wish I had never done it. I am also far worse now than I was before the op. My pain is not as severe as yours and I can get through most days without pain killers, but I am in severe discomfort. I have a stiff, tight feeling in my foot and toes. It's difficult to explain, but it kind of feels like my skin is too tight for my foot. It's almost like wearing a sock that is much too tight. I am also struggling with numbness. My surgeon did warn me before the op that my 3 middle toes would have a degree of numbness, but the ball of my foot is also numb. What is weird is that under the numbness there is pain. As I put pressure on my foot I feel shooting pain through the ball of my foot. At the moment I am only wearing Croc sandals with open toes. I honestly don't know what is going to happen in winter ( I live in South Africa ) when it is too cold for sandals. I don't know if I will be able to wear a closed shoe. My surgeon is adamant that the surgery was successful and he says it can take as long as 6 -9 months for full recovery. But I am not optimistic that it is going to get any better than it is now. I also tried medication for nerve pain, but I experienced such bad side effects that I had to stop taking it. I just feel thoroughly depressed about the whole situation.
    • Posted

hi thank you for your comments my surgeon was also adamant that the operations were a success but she has finally relented and is sending me for a scan to make sure neuromas have not come back she also says it can take up to 6 mnths to be pain free but with this amount of pain like yourself i am not optomistic at the moment i really do not know how you have got through this pain without medication that is a worry for me i hate takng so much medication but have no option at this present time i will keep you updated if i find anything that may help us on this site thanks x
  • Posted

Hi Gerda just to let you know I had mortons neuroma op in left foot in which they had dig deeper to remove a bursa... That was 3yrs ago and like you I am in agony from morning till night.I have tried all the tablets for nerve pain but apart from them doing nothing for the pain I was so spaced out!!...they tried cortisone injection through top of foot now that has left me with terrible pain up the back of my leg and buttocks...I am so miserable get frustrated as I can't do what I used to the terrible pains got me very depressed and I feel awful that I get so uptight or snappy with my family...they understand but I feel guilty! It has changed me as I used to be quite a bouncy,fun,energetic person but I am so slow... On my bed most nights by 8pm just get foot,leg up...tried anaestetic patches...they aggravated it worse so only 1 more thing to try is physio...but I think once nerves have been cut,damaged not sur if it will help? BUT I am that desperate will try anything...I wear slipper boots nothing comfortable...should never of had it done! Do you get pain on top yr foot too?
    • Posted

yes that is what i am wearing slipper boots and i have even put insoles in them and i do get pain on tp of my foot i understand what you say about all the medication that is how i feel spaced out all the time and it does make all make me very depressed and like yourself you seem to take it out on those closest to you but again i am fortunate my family also understand and dont lose patience with me and i am spending more time on the bed and still sleep with my feet elevated i hope your pain gets better and if you do come across some miracle PLEASE let me know and thanks for commenting x
    • Posted

Thanks Gerda for yr feedback...it's just nice to know there are other people in similar predicament!! Not a nice 1...but really no1 understands the pain...think they think we're soft..I am used to being on the go,happy etc but not at mo...not sure if you work Gerda? I am a mobile hairdresser but can only do the odd1 as can't stand for long..but same happens if I sit..whether eating tea in bed the pain up back leg and buttocks.... eeh you know I don't want to be a Moaner but ....am so frustrated how I have ended up!! I know there are people out there worse off...I try put things in perspective... BUT when yr in constant pain...feel queasy,slow,fatigue...anyway I appreciate yr reply...am I allowed to ask yr age? Am 48yrs old feel so slow,pain def makes my brain malfunction!! Keep in touch! X
    • Posted

i am 63 but i am a young 63 as far as i am concerned always getting my hair and nails done going for facials etc but all seems so pointless i had a very busy social life but find myself cancelling all the time even though my hubby will always take and pick me up the effort just doesnt seem worth it the way i feel at the moment and dont want to depress other people with the way i feel will keep in touch x
    • Posted

Well I am now more than 6 months post op and still no improvement. I am miserable and depressed about what has happened. My foot and the discomfort is uppermost in my mind every conscious moment. I cannot wear decent shoes. I went back to my surgeon last week. He is at a loss and basically dismissed me. He does not understand what my foot feels like. I am now having acupuncture and electric impulse treatment in absolute desperation for something that can give me some relief. To anyone considering neuroma removal surgery, I say please reconsider. If I had known on 21st October last year what my foot would feel.like 6 months later, I would never have had the surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.