I had rectocele and bladder prolapse surgery a week ago and feel very scared about recovery

Posted , 5 users are following.

My surgery was done laproscopically with 5 small holes in my stomach. A mesh has been inserted in the rectocele repair. I have been told I must not strain or get constipated and have been given some laxatives. I am doing all I can to eat the correct diet and drinking plenty of water but I'm still worried I might do some damage. I have managed to pass motions from the4 th post op day. But it's still a worry.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Please don't worry Mary, as long as you follow the advice given, you will be fine. It is very important not to lift anything heavier than a kettle containing a cup of water until you have been given the go ahead from your urologist. I took lactulose for several weeks to help with bms, others have suggested using a footstool to raise the legs and ease the passage of bms, drink plenty of water, don't try to walk too far or do too much. I had the same op for recto/entero and cystocele, am now 6 months post op and feel fine, but I still take care and don't lift anything too heavy or try to move heavy furniture etc. It's a major op and your body needs time to heal. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Thank you Frances, it's a comfort to hear from someone who has gone through the same thing. You have reassured me that I am doing things correctly. Thanks again.

• Posted

I was worried about it too but everything was ok.    I used a stool softener (not the same as a laxative) regularly to keep things easy to pass.  I also found glycerin suppositories to be very helpful.

Just keep in mind that opiates are constipating so it's normal to need extra help while you are taking them. 

• Posted

Hi Mary, I was the same but lactalose is great, I never had to strain I am coming up to 4 weeks post op and have had very easy bm. Also as said no lifting bending and stretching, I am doing some cooking now but hubby still doing hoovering shopping washing and bed making. I have my follow up first week in April and will see what I am told by surgeon before I attempt to do any of the above. You will be fine, rest rest rest, I tended to walk in the dining room and kitchen every 30 mins, it helps circulation and bowels xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.