I had rotator cuff surgery 14 months ago, still cant lift my arm activitly

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had rotator cuff surgery Dec 15, 2017,I still cannot actively lift my arm more than 90 degrees, my surgeon stated my surgery was a success because he could lift my arm, but not to end range. I seeked out a second opinion and this surgeon states I have frozen arm. My physio therapist disagrees. I was 62 years old having the surgery. I am so fustrated I cant lift my arm I can crawl my hand to my back but cant lift it away from my body.Has anybody else had a similar experience.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had my rotator cuff surgery June 13th (8 months ago) I too have a frozen shoulder. Therapist can get it to about 150 degrees lift. I cannot lift it on my own near that far. I just had an MRI confirming the frozen shoulder. I have 3 choices 1. To get a manipulation under anesthesia which carries a 5 percent chance of a re tear. (That scares me) 2. To get a PRP injection using my own blood (plasma) which is not covered by insurance. 3. Continue therapy. I have chose continuing therapy for now. These stretches and exercises have really taken its toll on my back. Sleeping in a bed gives me horrific back pain. Plus i developed RSD in my surgically repaired arm . I go for shoulder therapy twice a week and hand therapy once a week. Seems like no light at the end of tunnel yet. Some of us have a tougher time sadly. Hang in there. Keep the faith.

• Posted

my PT can also get a lift about 150 degrees, I can only lift 90 degrees on my own. I am sorry you having such a hard time, Sometimes I think rotator cuff surgery not the answer for everyone..I got a second opinion from another Ortho surgeon and he says frozen shoulder, but my physiotherapist doesnt agree with him because he can lift it, he cant get end range, but he says because he can lift it, it's not frozen shoulder. Just frustrating and good to talk to others with similar problems

• Posted

If your PT can only get you at about 150 it probably is frozen. The only thing that will confirm that though is another MRI. When my PT gets me to 150 , its really a stretch and hurts a lot. Pulls on all the surrounding muscles of back, neck, ribcage making them sore and sensitive as well.

• Posted

I also had a frozen shoulder. It took over a year after surgery for me to finally feel better. You do not mention PT, but I am sure you are doing it? My PT was very aggressive and I can attest that you also need to do everything they tell you to do. I was spending over 1 hour a day with my exercises. I would think you should be able to lift you arm by now so I would definitely seek another opinion from an Ortho.

• Posted

I have been going to PT before and after surgery , it will be two years in total come May. I seen another Ortho surgeon two weeks ago, he said I still have frozen shoulder, My PT doesn't agree because he can passively lift it but very stiff, he thinks its muscles, but I have been doing physio regularly , first it was five days a week after surgery for a couple months, than three times a week, now back to five days a week on Ortho surgeon recommendations, just wondering if it could be muscles around the shoulder.

• Posted

I was told by my PT that a frozen shoulder can take up to 2 years to thaw. If you are experiencing stiffness, then I would believe it is still the frozen shoulder. Sorry you are going through this as I know how painful it must be.

• Posted

Thank you, I am sure I will get through it, just frustrating that ortho sugeon says it frozen, and my PT says its not, I just know I cant lift it myself more than 90 degrees and its very stiff and sore when PT does.PT is doing aggressive therapy because Ortho recommended it, but he does not agree with surgeon.

• Posted

I had my surgery on 12 th of June Sadly I developed a lot of clicking about 3 months flowing Surgery I had a scan ln November which showed that the repair has not held My Surgeon feels that.further surgery would not be wise. He has however referred me for a 2nd opinion

This is not until 17th March

In the meantime my pain has improved for most of the time

sometimes I hear and feel.a very large click When this happens I have an increase in pain which takes 2-3 weeks to settle

I can cope as things stand as I really don't want further surgery.

Good luck for the future Sue

• Posted

I am sorry to hear that you still suffer with pain, I dont have pain unless I am pushed past where I can actively lift my arm. Hope your second opinion provides a way to resolve this.

• Posted

Well I have a post op (July 2nd) frozen shoulder which is a nuisance but if the range of movement I have at the moment is all I ever get, I would still be happy to have had the op as the main pain I appear to be suffering is awful lower back ache which wakes me every morning. I put this down to some of the exercises - if that's possible? Guess all the muscles are linked somehow! The shoulder itself is healed, the ROM will hopefully improve over time, but where has this backache appeared from!

• Posted

I have the same problem all over my back. Has to be the back compensating for lack of shoulder movement. I cannot last more than 2 hours in bed. Backs hurts all day, everyday.

• Posted

yes and I still cant get any answers Im so disgusted about this . This # 2 surgeries on arms and neither one were successful. would love to know if you have new info Thanks Traci

• Posted

My opinion is that they thread it tooo tight and then say its frozen shoulder thats what it feels like I'd been saying this since the first week Thans Traci

• Posted

I can really relate to this thread. I had my surgery June 13th. Still dealing with frozen shoulder and pain when i try to achieve better ROM. Plus sleeping in the bed for more than 2-3 hours is impossible due to the extreme pain it causes to my back. Surgeon gave me an option of having my shoulder manipulated under anesthesia, but it carries a 5 percent chance of a re-tear. Not willing to take that chance because i am the kind of person that low percentage things always seem to happen to.

• Posted

yes I can relate also to have a second one no that doesnt work for me either it would most likley come out worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.