I had surgery to fix Gastro Equinus, Ligaments, Plantar Facilitis, Heel Spur, broke bone, high arch

Posted , 2 users are following.

On December 31st, I had surgery with a partial excision of a bone in the left fibula plus repair collateral lateral both ligaments. Plantar calcaneal exostectomy plus fasciae to my radical, left foot. Gastro Equinus recession. That is the description on my surgical paperwork and I can't seem to find anyone else on here with the same? Basically, I have a high arch and apparently a ligament that is supposed to be no more then 2 cm in a normal person was 7 cm in my foot and ripped the bone off my foot which Doctors always thought was a broken piece that moved around until I was opened up for surgery. I have a cut all the way across my heel and ankle and up my leg a little bit and was put into a boot thing until the day they removed the stitches. Apparently they sent me home with an infection because the pain was so high that a few days later I went to see the doctor and he said it was infected and they put me on a high dose of antiobiotics, Clindamycin 300mg and Ciprofloxacin 500mg, to rid the infection. Luckily those worked but they also had a lot of side effects and I was unable to take theTizanidine 4mg that the doctor wanted me to take to help loosen the ligaments per bad side effects with antibiotics. As soon as he removed the stitches , he put me into a cast and this is where I am at now and hoping to have this removed today and hoping today will be given permission to use this foot? This had been way more painful then I ever expected and I have gone through many surgeries having had 3 shoulder surgeries prior to this and I have to say this is the worst. The lack of mobility as I am not able to put any kind of pressure on the foot or stand on it has rendered me helpless and completely reliant on others to get to places or get things from the outside world. I have been depressed and anxious as I have been unable to do my normal walking to counteract and work out these emotions like I normally would. This afternoon I will get the cast off (6 weeks from surgery) and will report the next steps. He has mentioned at the last appointment that physical therapy would be the next step , so we will see. I am hoping again that I am finally able to use this foot! Has any one else experienced this combination of surgery? How was the healing? How long before the pain stopped? I still experience pain issues? Any suggestions? imageimageimageimageimageimage

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Follow up 6 week appointment and Dr. removed the cast and put me in a walking boot. Will start physical therapy. Told me to start out slowly with putting pressure on foot and using it and to start with like an hour the first day and slowly increase with comfort being my guide. Well feels good to be out of cast and went home from the appointment and took me a long hot needed bath ! It hurts but am so happy to be moving to the next step for sure! image

• Posted

Its a long road Elizabeth!! Sounds like you have had a great surgeon and tellng you all you need to know.

I experienced depression and a lot of aniexty also. The needed someone to care for me was beyond what I was used too.

You've had so much done, be prepared to feel pain for quite some time. Follow your docs orders and then your PT and you'll be fine in time. It takes a very long time.

Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.