I had the Urolift procedure done a year ago and cannot pee on my own yet

Posted , 9 users are following.

I had a new urologist take a look and he spotted two of the urolift fasteners in my bladder. he said the only way to remove them is a turp! this proceedure scares me , thats why i went with urolift. Is there any way to reverse it other than a turp? I have been straight catheterizing ever since. My current urologist says my bladder muscles are weak and is suggesting a stim proceedure. I am so frustrated!**

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

This is the kind of stuff I didn't wanna hear! I had mine done in July 2018. After one ER visit 9 hours after procedure to have a cath installed because I couldn't pee at all, I had minimal success. Now 8 months later, I went to have Green Light Laser done. Dr said he would remove the Uro-lift. After surgery, he told my wife I may pee out some pieces of metal, not to be worried if I spotted some in my bag. Doesn't the cath tube go all the way into the bladder? Isn't that PAST where the uro-lift clips go? Am I mistaken, or can uro-lift clips "swim" upstream and come out? Should I have selected a better urologist??

Jeeezzzzz.......I'm second guessing everything I decide now!!

• Posted

Sorry to hear this for both you guys. I wonder how long it will be before this procedure is banned.

• Posted

Hello all

Why should it be banned. It does work if the prostate is the problem. I'm going on 4 years and would do it again.

Still wide open and the 4 clips are still in the same place.

This is to John...Your doctor should have removed them before he did your Green Light. That would have been the right way to do it. To late now. John why did it fail you may have need more clips or was your bladder the problem.

Hope all goes well.....Ken

• Posted

Robert's Uro is saying only a TURP to get the straps out. I don't believe that. In your vast experience of Urolift have you heard of them getting into the bladder ?

• Posted

John, just curious, how did you decide to have Urolift?

• Posted

Hey Derek

I have never heard of this happening. Once they are in place it take 4 weeks for them to a hear to the prostate. I had mine 4 years ago and mine are still in the same place

Like I told him if they are in the bladder ( How they got there who knows ) The string and the clip can be remove. The anchor has to stay but it will not bother anything. They can be removed with forceps.

The only thing I can think of is that the doctor put it on the the one lobe and then that lobe grew into a median lobe and that is in the bladder.

Like I said I have been looking into Urolift for the last 4 years and have never heard of this happening. Sorry that I'm repeating. Can't get it out of my head. I would like to know when this happen????

Ken

• Posted

Almost all urologists are insured against medical malpractice. Suggest you consult a malpractice attorney.

• Posted

The thought has crossed my mind. I'm not looking to "cash in", but holy crap, the time outta work, the discomfort. All the stuff I stay home from because I fear not finding a bathroom? The embarrassment of the whimpering while I'm in a bathroom stall and I hear a kid asking his dad, "Why is there a man crying in there, daddy?".....Jeeeezzzzz

• Posted

Robert I would like to know how they ended up in the bladder. Don't do a turp Have them just cut the string they should be able to remove everything other then the anchor.

Good luck Ken

• Posted

Robert, just curious, how did you decide to have Urolift?

• Posted

i had seen a urologist to remove a kidney stone that was to large to pass. After removal he said my prostate was enlarged and suggested the UROLIFT. I had to pay the majority out of pocket, but if it worked it would have been great. NOW I have increased problems, and cannot find a urologist in phoenix that has a solution. They dont think they can cut the cords on the implants and thats why they suggest the turp to do it. im still looking for a solution. catheters are a pain to deal with.

• Posted

Are you having problems will self cathing? Why is it such a pain?

• Posted

i am in good physical shape and in my 40s and I travel alot for work and through the day and I take the catheters and cleaning supplies everywhere. i have to excuse myself to go get my bag if its not with me. I DONT want to explain to everyone why i need one to go to the restroom. otherwise the appliances work fine. If i forget to bring them it ends my day quickly, since i cannot go without them.

• Posted

Robert, ask your doctor if you can have bipolar Turp. Bipolar Turp is good, but with high risk of retro ejaculation.

• Edited

If I had read all these reviews prior to having Urolift, I think I would have opted for something else. When I had mine done I had only read how great it was by Urologists that make 15K a pop to do the 15 minute procedure.It was horribly painful and now I think I am back to where I was before the procedure, maybe a little bit better. I wonder if part of the problem is that the doctor didn't tell me anything to avoid after surgery, there was no wait X number of days before sex or lifting heavy objects etc. I'm wondering if some of the stuff I'm reading about clips moving or coming out have to do with not taking it easy long enough. There are also cases where the doctor should just say that urolift is not the best fit for your anatomy i.e. medium lobe or bladder neck but they can't pass up the easy money.

• Posted

Hey Ben

Your doctor did not tell you anything after the procedure. When I had mine done 4 years ago. He told me to drink a lot of fluid. Not to lift anything heavy for 4 week and no sex for 4 weeks either. Because it take 4 weeks for the clips to a hear to the prostate. My clips are still in the same place where he put them. Had a Ridge Cystoscopy done a year ago. Still open

Your doctor should have told you this stuff. I don't know if you have a median lobe now you never know. There is a procedure called Midlift which has been out for a year.

I hope all get better for you. Please ask question if you go back.............Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.