I had TKR 3 days ago and finding exercises hard if not impossible

Posted , 2 users are following.

Finding it so hard to do simple lifting of knee exercises. Had my total knee replacement 3 days ago and was pretty good at exercises with physiotherapist. However I came home after 24 hours and am finding the same simple exercises impossible. Pain is not too bad 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Heather,

Yes, it is so much easier when we have been in bed resting.

Perhaps you will elevate that knee above your heart and pack it in ice.

It is excessive swelling that is making movement difficult.

kind regards

judith

• Posted

Good...you have a lot of work to do...I exercise during commercials...you might consider some isometric exercises...a bit down the road remind me to share the neoprene with you..hugs
  • Posted

very good your doing them. it's not unusual to have great difficulty doing exercises at the very beginning. it sounds like you had a bit of assistance and now your discovering your leg is like lead. very normal. your stiff swollen. if you read your paper you don't have to lift the leg that high. let your pain be your guide. you lift as high as you can in the first few weeks. if that's an inch then do that. the important thing here is to keep motivated. take meds for pain if needed.

you will improve.

my first tkr was 1½. years ago. and i was pushed by a lot of people to work hard to exercise. then when i went to phsio she told me it was to much and i needed to slow down.

i just had my second one done 11days ago. i've had poor pain control so am just starting exercises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.