I had unsafe sex with hiv± partner, can i test positive later ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello Sir,

I had an unprotected vaginal sex with a hiv positive partner,

I was unknown about her status but later I came to know that she was hiv positive since 4/5 years ago,

I was shocked and worried knowing that she was positive,

I asked her about ART (Anti Retroviral Therapy) medication whether she takes regularly or not,

She answered me that she has been taking ART since 2/3 years ,

But, still I've a doubt on her that whether she takes medication regularly on not

and then,

I got tested through NGOs clinic on 4th and 8th weeks after exposure and I got negative result on both test.

-Should I still be worried ?

-Can I test positive later ?

-Accuracy of 3rd generation antibodies test after 8 weeks?

-Accuracy of Rapid HIV 1/2 test at home ?

0 likes, 7 replies

Report / Delete

7 Replies

• Posted

You should test at 12 weeks after exposure to be certain.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi suresh 

I think you need to wait for minimum 6 months before you repeat the HIV test again ...you can try doing HIV Western Blot test if you have the option next time after 2 months .

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

there’s medicine you can take after exposure (within 72 hours) to help stop infection! I think it’s called PrEp
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I'm pretty sure its harder fo pass HIV from woman to man. Get tested and wear a condom

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Between by any way , r u from Tamilnadu? I hope u won't get HIV, but anyway just get tested after 3 months to be on safer side. God bless

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up