I had very serious Liver Failure in July 2004 and was di...

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had very serious Liver Failure in July 2004 and was diagnosed with Autoimune Lipid Hepatitis I am now well but was told this condition was brought about by stress from my job, has anybody else had this brought on by stress.

It was a very frightening experience and put me in hospital for 3 weeks, it has taken almost 8 months to recover.

[i:6f0b8159fe]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6f0b8159fe]

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with AIH only 2 months ago, yet had been feeling terribly unwell from head to toe for some months. I put it down to stress and grief due to a death in my family. I had no idea there was anything wrong with my Liver. It all came on very suddenly and may be a coincident with timing. Nobody really seems to know WHY it developed all of a sudden.

I know that since I have been taking a high does of Prednisolone, my well being returned to some what normal and I have no more pain. I about to start taking Azathioprine which doesn't sound so good as it can cause liver problems. Im abit confused about the medication at the moment, it is all still so new and so much to take in.

:?

[i:a4c1ebe20a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a4c1ebe20a]

• Posted

:cry: i have just lost my young sister at 37 she was taken ino hospital with liver failure through years of drinking the hospital only phone us haf an hour before she died we missed her death by 3 minutes i she died on the 23rd december 2007 we buried her yesterday my heart is broken i miss her so much i need to know if she suffered at the end and i she knew she was going to die
  • Posted

Aww Im sorry to hear sad Hopefully they made her very comfortable, I doubt she was conscious at the end :cry:
  • Posted

I have just posted my experience under 'Steroid experience'. I was diagnosed with AIH in Feb 2007. I have been on Azathioprine since March 07, concurrently with Prednisolone until November when the steroid was eventually stopped. Aza is very hard to start with as side-effects like extreme weakness do make life incredibly difficult. These really do wear off after a longish while, and the drug suppresses your immune system so that hopefully we do not get a relapse. Second-time around it is much more difficult to treat, my Consultant tells me.

Aza is a much better option than steroids, and I'm told I will be on it for five years, maybe lifelong. I am now back to where I was before my illness started. Using the drug is a small price to pay for getting your life back - I nearly lost mine !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.