I hate being around people

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello everyone!

I am afraid. I used to love being in crowds. I worked in public relations, specifically event management, and now I am unable to do my job. When I get in a crowd of people, I keep thinking they will harm me. I keep looking over my shoulder in case someone is coming behind me. I am especially troubled in banks and gas stations. I can't leave quick enough. Is this something I should be concerned about?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, seem like you have a phobia of being in crowded area. Anything happened that lead to this? Best way to treat this is to identify the root cause of it. And also try meditation and remove any negative thought as most the time is only our thought that make us anxious. My suggestion is best you seek a doctor help.
    • Posted

That is very good advice, thank you. I can't think of any reasons why this would have started. But what is strange is that it began when I was taking medication for a neurological disorder. The medicine affected my dopamine levels. I no longer take the medication, but I have dealt with these feelings of social anxiety ever since then. As I said it was a big deal because I used to work in public relations. Now I barely speak to people.
  • Posted

Hi Misse, I sincerely hope that you are feeling a little better. I think it would be a very good idea for you to talk openly to your doctor or practice nurse, it would put your mind at rest if nothing else. I have a son who has exactly the same problem as you, he has been on medication for many years and it has helped him enormously. Any thing that is affecting or upsetting your life needs to be taken very seriously and your doctor will understand and want to help you. You are entitled to live your life without worry and stress, so please go and talk to somebody,(have a word with your parents also) best of luck, sincere wishes to you, be kind to yourself.  DEIRDRE xx
    • Posted

Thank you! I have spoken to a professional about it, and they always dismiss me as being under a lot of stress. While it is true that I have a lot of stress, I always have. Pointing out the obvious isnt really helping the situation. It's not crippling for me by any means, I am just unable to work in the same manner that I used to.  I find myself comfortable in my home, going days not talking to people, and just being quiet. Maybe I just need a break? I refuse to believe its just stress though. Ive always had the stress, but never the aversion like this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.