I hate ETD

Posted , 8 users are following.

So 3 years ago during my pregnancy I devolved this lovely old thing 🙄🙄 it lasted throughout my entire pregnancy. After I had my daughter it left a month later. 

For the last 3 years I get what I call ETD "flare ups" a few times a year. Nobody understands how miserable, and I'm so glad I found a group that can understand. I don't think ETD has fully gone ever, but last Tuesday I woke up and I could just tell I was about to have a flare up. My flare ups last awhile- days, weeks, months. I hate it. I did get lucky once and while traveling in my car through a high elevation my tube popped back into place. It made a whirring sound and I was so very happy. Anyway this time my flare up was a bit different. Normally I can hear myself breathing and I echo in my own head. It feels like I'm talking underwater. This time my ear feels super full and that's about it. So there's that. I have an apt with the EnT tomorrow am, praying we can figure something out. I read about a new procedure that can be done with a catheter and inserting a balloon into the tube, anyone here have this?

Anyone have any tips or tricks on how to help me feel better? I know all the usual things but thought maybe there was something else I could do. When this flares up I feel like a crappy mommy because I get miserable as soon as I wake up. Although I never let on to my daughter how miserable, my husband surely knows it- and I'm sure he's tired of hearing"you just don't understand"

Any help would be much appreciated please??

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hiya, the pred. took 4/5 days before it kicked in with me.  I thought it seemed a bit soon when you said things were good.  I'm keeping everything crossed for you that they work, which I'm sure they will.  How are you sleeping ?

Anne

• Posted

day 2 of pred. course.  hopefully waiting to see if it helps.
    • Posted

Refresh my memory as I read so many comments on the Forum.  You did get a 20 day reducing course didn't you Ashley ?  By day 4 or 5 you'll see a marked difference.  Let me know.

Anne

• Posted

Hey Anne!

Yes I myself started the 20 day course this past Monday so this is day 5 for me. It has helped a little but my ear still feels quite full and pops non stop so I never fully feel likf it's back in place. This will be coming up on 2 weeks since my flare up. I'm hoping with the prednisone and the anti imflamatory as well as the water pill they put me one something gives. My ear feels like it needs to pop all day and I'm constantly making it pop for relief. 

I'm just praying and crossing all fingers and toes that something gives here. 

I think someone commented above me saying they were on day 2  

• Posted

Hello Ashley,

Thanks for keeping me up-dated on how you're feeling.  Give it time, maybe your ear/ears were more clogged than mine.  The Prednisolone will kick in and rid you of all the inflammation, which will get rid of the swelling in your tubes, allowing drainage....it's good that you're able to pop them, I can too, that's a good sign, even if the tubes re-close again.  Try doing it 3 times, one after the other.  Once sometimes isn't enough.  I've read about this.  With all the years of this condition, I know all the subtle noises and feeling in the ears and when it's worse than other times and when I need help.  Don't forget Ashley, when you've finished the Pred.  get yourself using the Flixonase Nasules for 6 weeks, then ask for the Flixonse Aqueous Spray....all of which I use.  The Autumn is on it's way and I will have problems with the mould on the trees next.   This is such an awful condition if we suffer allergies.  If I'm around cigarette smoke my ears block, if it gets humid, my ears block, if I wear perfume, my ears block and air freshners affect me too......such a pain !!  Have the Pred messed up your sleeping pattern ?

Stay in touch

Anne

• Posted

Hey Anne!

So day 15 now of my flare up and I'm still not back to myself. Tuesday was 1 week on pred, antiinflamatory and the diuretic. 

It seemed like for a day some of the fullness went away but here I am still with this full feeling in my ear. Popping it in and out is the the only bit of relief I get honestly. It's not gotten worse, so that's a plus but I think this has been one of my longest attacks outside of when I first got diagnosed during my pregnancy. I have panic attacks on occasion becuase I have such pressure there. It's almost like it needs to pop back in place if you will. Usually with my flare ups after a week or so I'll wake up and my ear will be back in place. I guess I keep waiting for this to happen and it's not.  Not yet anyway. I am happy that I'm able to pop it for a few seconds of relief. I noticed in the mornings it feels slightly equalized and as soon as I drink something or eat it pops back out of place and I've got that fullness again. 

I really don't like taking prednisone like this as it makes me sweaty and sleepless. 

The only thing I keep doing is just praying something happens here. My other attacks have been PET ETD so my experience was a bit different. 

Although I think my ear fullness now feels like it did 2 weeks ago when I first knew I was having a flareup so maybe that's a good sign. I truly feel so sorry for all of us that has this, it's so debilitating. I feel badly for my 3 year old too because I get dizzy easy and often stay in rather than go out becuase I've been so irratable. 

I'm really counting on something working here as over 2 weeks has got me feeling really down 😫

• Posted

Please don't stop taking the Prednisolone....must never stop until the course is finished, as it can cause detrimental side affects.  Give it time and I'm sure they will work.  Refresh my memory, you have got the 20 day reducing course, haven't you ????  I know exactly how you're feeling.  But mine is worse when I get up and the post nasal drip goes into my ears during the night.  I'm still able to pop too.  It's when we can't, that's when they are really blocked.

Keep in touch

Anne

• Posted

Hey Anne!

Today makes 3 weeks since my flare up happened. 

Today I'm just left with confusion more than anything. About 4 days ago it seemed like my ear was getting better. Or I should say bearable. Then suddenly I noticed now my left ear feels off. Feels full but not as full as my right. It pops in and out and my right is constantly popping.  I'm honestly just so incredibly sad.  My face feels weird too, almost like it's tight/tingly. I just don't understand this or why is happening. I feel so helpless right now. My ENT said to check back in 2 weeks and we'll go from there so I'm calling in today and seeing what we can do. Although I don't have much hope. If I could just feel like I did last month without a care. Now im constantly in my own head trying not to have panic attack after panic attack with this ETD. Also I have been doing Flonase and the tablets as well. I only have a few days left of prednisone and then that's finished. 

• Posted

Morning Ashley,

How's everything going, haven't seen any post on the Forum from you lately.

How's the ETD ?

Regards Anne

• Posted

Hey Anne!

Not sure if you saw but I messaged you yesterday with an update. Currently en route to the ENT right now. Hoping we can figure something out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.