I hate this.

Posted , 4 users are following.

So for the past few weeks I have been feeling out of sorts. My body feels weird & it's making me become worried/depressed all the time. I keep having these symptoms that won't go away. I've been to 1 Doctor, 2 urgent cares, 1 ER, and have another doctors app tomorrow. All in a matter of 2 weeks. I constantly feel like I can't breathe whether it's laying down, talking, walking whatever the case I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen. My doctor told me my lungs sound healthy but I don't believe her. And to make matters worse that's all I can concentrate on. I've also been feeling really weak and tired. I lost my appetite and I keep getting tummy cramps. Sometimes my chest hurts too. I just wanna feel like myself again & it seems like no matter how many times I try to get help no one understands sad

Any advice??

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It all sounds like anxiety and depression to me girl!!!I started having anxiety/depression 4 years ago,got better with med...came off of them in may,then started back on them 4 weeks ago cause I started getting it all over again!!!Same symptoms,chest pain,no appetite...all of it...the not being able to breath part is the worst!!!I told my psychiatrist and doctor about it and they said it's all the anxiety cause u think about it too much and u start thinking sumthing is wrong with u,so u over think it and it makes the breathing harder to handle.Try the breathing teqniques...in through ur nose,slowly out of ur mouth with ur lips together.When u feel like that,do it a couple of times...it has become a regular thing for me!!I also always feel as if sumthing is wrong with me,I've been to the ER at least 6 times since like august...I've had ekg's,bloodwork,xrays done & every doctor has told me im healthy,but it's hard to believe it the first time when u have anxiety!!I know how u feel,u r not alone....there are so many ppl that go through this...u just got to stay strong and pull through it...I'm 32 with 4 kids....I'm trying to stay strong for them....& it's hard,but just gotta keep trying!!!have u been prescribed anything???
  • Posted

The most important thing is to know that you are not alone. For me the not being able to breathe is the hardest and most frightening symptom of my anxiety. My doc put me on an inhaler but to be honest it makes me panic more when I take it. Its a constant struggle to get through each day, my poor hubby is trying his best to understand but unless you've been through it you can't understand it. Don't not want to take medication and my doc agrees she seems to think I can get through this myself (I wish I was as confident as her) good luck to you hope you feel better soon, I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy 
    • Posted

The inhaler will do nothing if you don't have breathing problems. (If it is anxiety then you DONT have breathing problems, trust me.) your doctor has given you that as a placebo, because you think it helps it usually does the trick and helps.

You need to retrain your breathing, do some breathing exercises. Stop breathing through your mouth too.

• Posted

thank you rawb

my doc said she heard a slight wheez on my chest, but i have no cough or phlem and i dont smoke, personally i think your right she just gave me inhaler as a placebo. i' m just back from the health shop and the very understanding assistant recommended B-Complex and L-Theanine for my anxiety so im going to give it a go (can't hurt). 

• Posted

Yep. Just remember the stuff you put into your body like that won't CURE anxiety, you need to do therapy too. Inhalers supplements etc are all coping mechanisms but they don't address the issue of your anxiety. Ask your doctor to book you in with a therapist.

Good luck

• Posted

The irony with breathing is our body doesn't perfectly fine when you don't think about it, I bet you have periods where you won't be thinking about breathing and as soon as you do it becomes hard to do. This happens to everyone, I have anxiety and it happens to me. I tested it out on my mum and told her to concentrate on breathing, within minutes she was a mess too. She has 0 anxiety. If your lungs sound fine then that's great news! Doctors can hear a problem with your lungs a mile off, there's loads of red flags that would cause concern and unfortunately/fortunately (which ever way you look at it) breathing slightly off isn't one of them.

I used some yoga breathing techniques to get mine under control, it took about 3-4 weeks before I noticed the difference but it definitely works, it'll bring your anxiety down loads too. Or even try the 4-4-7 breathing technique. It's hard to do at first cause you'll be so anxious about holding your breath cause you think you'll pass out etc. But you won't, and in the very very rare case that you do pass out then that's fine too cause it's your subconscious brain taking over. Your subconscious knows how to breathe just fine. It's once you become aware of your breathing that it becomes hard.

Try some breathing exercises out. If your GP tells you your fine today then please believe them. They know what they're doing. smile

Good luck Lauren.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.