I have a 22cm Ovarian cyst ...softball size uterine fibroid and go for surgery shortly...advice?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! I am going for surgery on a 22 cm ovarian cyst and fibroid that is the size of a softball...

I am having this done through laparotomy and I am wondering a few things..thank you for any help in advance! ❤️ I am having a hysterectomy (keeping one ovary hopefully)

Is it wise to keep an ovary?

Will I be able to do anything when I get home? I live alone and my family will stop in to see me and do heavy things...

Did you lose weight or gain weight with this procedure?

What do you feel like when it is out? I have been growing this for years and no doctor ever caught this... 😦

Will I be able to at least be able to lift my laptop? Thank you so much!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi nanc i had the same thing done last year i had my ovary and tube removed on the left side cause a cyst was growing big i was dealing with it for a year i had 3 small incesion i didn't lose or gain weight from the surgery but all i can say is that i don't have anymore pain on that side i was in pain for a couple of days u will be able to lift your laptop but anything that is leavy u wont your body will let u know i have my other ovary. i hope this helped u out if u need anything else answered i will try my best to answer it

• Posted

hi hun

just seen this post, i replied to your other one. it will defo help to keep in touch regarding recovery. when is your surgery? mine was 15cm 6 weeks ago, they told me they will try key hole but depends on the day i feel it has grown. i worry too regarding recovery especially of its open.

• Posted

Hi! I had 3 cysts on top of each other on my left ovary equalling 20cm, and a 7cm one on the right ovary. I had them removed via laparotomy (c-section incision). I lost my left ovary and tube but kept my right. I also went into the op not knowing whether I’d end up having a hysterectomy... thankfully I didn’t due to my age.

Recovery was a long slog. I was home quite quickly. I had my op on the Monday morning. Tuesday they had me up and walking. I think I had my catheter and morphine drip out that morning too. It was painful to stand and walk but the more you do the better. On the Wednesday morning I woke with terrible wind pain. I finally managed to use the bathroom for a bowel movement as they were getting my discharge ready....I felt so much better then. I needed my husband at home for the first few days as walking up and down stairs hurt, and there’s no way I could stand and cook. I managed to venture to a cafe on the Friday for a coffee and cake but slept for 3 hours after as I was exhausted.

My dressing came off the following Monday and that was like having the op all over again! I needed something over it to protect the wound. I was scared I’d reopen it or damage it, so went careful!

It was a while before I could stand and do stuff without feeling pain or extremely tired. This probably eased up after a month and a half.

You will be able to pick up your laptop as long as it’s waist height. Bending down was a struggle.

I’m now 7 months on and can honestly say I’ve only been pain free for a month. It’s not excruciating pain just niggles and weird feelings.

I went back to a physical job 3 months post op.

Everyone’s recovery is different but it really helped me reading what I could potentially expect.

Good luck xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.