I have a 4cm gallstone. Is it too big to find a stone breaker/dissolver to pass it through?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been having pain like once a month since June. It's been about four months now. It only happens occasionally so I got an ultrasound done and I was told I have a 4cm gallstone right near the duct. They obviously tell me I need surgery and it's too large to do a flush, but it's like I'm not in pain everyday. I can eat whatever I want right now and be fine. It only happens once in a while until maybe one day it actually does get worse. All these reviews for stone breaker medicines etc. all have people who have a 1 or 2 cm gallstone which yes would be very easy to pass or break up. But I have a 4cm one!!! I'm afraid if I get a stone breaker or something it will try to push through the duct and get stuck then I'm in the ER because i'm in pain. Is there anything I can do for a stone this large or is surgery my only option? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Surgery is the best option. I had multiple stones. Now I don't suffer with gallstone pain. The stone blocks the duct causing your pain. Up to you if you want to live with pain. Good Luck.

• Posted

Completely agree with fernando.

and by the way fernando. How are you now my friend are you out of hospital yet ?

been worrying about you.

• Posted

Hi that is really nice of you. Yes I'm out of hospital. Been experiencing bouts of pain. I don't feel good. I'm tying to deal with the pain. I can't even go to work because of the pain. Anyways nice to hear from you friend. Stay positive.😄

• Posted

Fernando.

ah great that's excellent news your out thank god.

i was really quite worried about you as it seemed you went quiet, 

im well happy your home amigo.

i hear yr pain , but your winning right ?

or you'd still be in hospital.

i wish you well and speedy recovery fernando.

god help us all ,this life ah , it makes you wonder !

stay in touch.

• Posted

Please don’t do any silly flush things anyway! If it’s causing you issues every now and again it will get worse and happen more often. I was getting severe pains every few months until I realised it was gallbladder related, as had my appendix out, then got told I had a UTI so until my stools changed colour I had no idea it was gallbladder causing the pain. It went from flare ups every few months to then every week then had constant nausea and pain for 7 weeks until I got it removed. You really don’t want to end up having that stone cause major major problems! So yeah the only option is to get the gallbladder out I’m afraid xx
    • Posted

Scottie.

where were your stones/ stone located ?

and has yr stool colour returned to normal yet and if so how long did that take ?

regards.

• Posted

Hi, Have you seen a gastroenterologist yet? They may decide to wait and see if it drops back into your gallbladder as your pain isn't constant and doesn't seem to be causing any other problems. Yes I'm afraid for a stone this size if it causes you more pain then surgery is the only option. Sometimes if it drops back into the gallbladder it won't cause anymore pain as alot of people don't often know they have gallstones and live with them all their lives. Its only the ones that cause problems that mean you have to have your gallbladder out.

Once you see your gastro let us know what they say. Take care 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.