I have a bald patch on my head!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi ladies, Ive been on HRT tablets for 10 months now (elleste duet conti). I noticed a few weeks ago that I thought my hair was getting thinner, I always wear it short and it looks fine. However today my husband put his hand through my hair and noticed a thin patch, I got him to take a picture of it for me. I am horrified at how big this patch is & it really is bald! I am mortified. Has anyone else had this before & if so did it grow back at all or has it got any worse?image

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rachel, I'm not a doctor but my sister had alopecia where hair is lost in small round patches. She was a young girl when it started but it can happen at any age. Her's was stress related and it has grown back. I would consult your doctor. I don't take HRT so not sure if it's anything to do with the medication.? All the best.

• Posted

I had a friend with a few patches like this dotted about her scalp, the doctor told her it was anxiety, it did eventually grow back

• Posted

Hi Rachel

My hair is very thin and brittle, but I've had thyroid and hormone issues for years. I'm on hrt and haven't noticed it being better or worse since taking them. I also suffer from anxiety but haven't ever had an actual patch like that, so I'm also thinking it may be a type of alopecia. You can get a type which is small round patches, as opposed to it all dropping out. I'd make an apt with your doctor just to check. There can be sooooo many reasons for it, do try not to worry although I can understand its upsetting. I'm sure your doc will come up with something. If it's any consolation the rest of your hair looks fab! Xxx

• Posted

thats what worries me, ive always had a great thick head of hair. I will get it checked out with my gp though just to be safe.

• Posted

Dear rachel83125,

I am sorry to hear this and I understand how distressing this is. I have read that this can be due to falling levels of progesterone. Are you on a combined oestrogen/progesterone therapy?

I know there are shampoos you can use to stimulate hair growth. The Body Shop used to produce a peppermint oil one which worked for me. You could also consider taking a health supplement with collagen and fish oil.

Has your GP ever suggested a combined patch instead of oral therapy? I take this after researching how kinder this is to the body and it is much safer as it does not carry the risks of oral HRT.

I strongly suggest getting this checked out as there are a number of conditions that can cause this problem. It may not be related to the menopause.

Whatever the cause, this problem is both identifiable and curable. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

im on a combination hrt tablet, i have never been offered patches at all so far through this process. im looking into natural shampoos etc at the moment, thanks fir your advice on the body shop. i will make an apt with my gp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.