I have a closed fracture of my left metatarsal head.

Posted , 4 users are following.

The injury occurred 3 wks ago. I was put in an air boot and on a knee scooter with a return appt for second x-rays tomorrow. I have read these discussions, but have not seen any comments on the feeling of burning in the bottom of the my foot when I am wearing the air boot? This started after the first week?  I am curious what sensations others have had in their air boot and casts. I also have tight sensations in toes and arch of foot.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Felt some burning sensation also when in cast and Air boot,moving my toes helped and it went away.I guess some sensitivity issue.
    • Posted

Did it go away for good, or did you have to do this repeatedly?
    • Posted

Hi Pat sorry for this late reply,it didn't occur too frequently,and yes it went away for good.Now into my 7th week with 2 casts taken out and in Airboot(NWB).And yes only got it when in cast.Hope You are coping well.
  • Posted

Hi Pat, I am three-weeks post surgery and could not tolerate the boot right away at all. But I also had a clunker from the medical supply store covered by my insurance and have since ordered an air boot online which I decided to pay out of pocket for a more functional boot. I decided not to wear the boot and just use my kneel scooter and stay total nwb. Once I am allowed to bear weight as tolerated, I will use the boot. I think my foot will be stronger and better healed to tolerate the weight and restrictions of it and it will be an air boot.
    • Posted

Yes Elizabeth, that is what I have an Airboot. I did not have surgery,  I am wondering if somehow it is nerves in my leg or if it is atrophy causing the issue.  When you are on your knee scooter, does your foot get tight and kind of swollen? cold? 
    • Posted

Another question for you please? Do you have occasional tenderness in the break site. 
    • Posted

Hi Pat, at this stage of my recovery, the scooter does not have a negative effect at all. I think because my foot doesn't need to perform at all. I'm still in non-weight bearing and am making sure it bears no weight including the weight of the boot. I don't have swelling or feelings of cold caused by the scooter. For me, I think the scooter prevents that. But it can feel tight. I think that is a good sign. When it feels tight I do stretches to getter better range of motion and to improve the circulation.
    • Posted

Hi Pat, I do but it has gotten better over the course of time since my surgery. Every once in awhile, it feels real unconfortable that i feel disheartened by it. But it is getting better with time. Elevating my foot on a soft pillow regularly has been the key for me. I'm sorry that you have your discomfort. For me and most everyone on this forum, it gets better.
    • Posted

Thank you. I can't wait! Yes, sometimes pillows help.  I have way too much time to analyze what it feels like. sad  
    • Posted

Best to you Pat. smile We all have come to this forum for the reason you did. Through here I have learned that in time we really do get better, good things to do to feel better, toe stretches, the scooter I have and air boots. Mostly it is nice to learn that what we are all experiencing is pretty normal for a fractured foot. Take care of yourself!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.