I have a Cold and aching eye after shingles would love some information

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi

im new to the forum. I had a severe case of shingles November 2017 on my face, head and in my eye. The shingles went but I have been left with the Post Herpetic Neuralgia, burning, itching and recently a cold eye which aches. It feels as if someone has frozen my eyeball and then put it back in its socket.

has anyone else experienced this, if so are there any treatment or tips?

many thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Liz,

I have PHN in the same area. The itching:  This sounds too easy, but try drinking a large glass of water when itching is at its worst, then wait 30 min. Mine will go away when I do this. 

The cold eye is not a symptom I get, but odd sensations are typical with PHN. For burning, try Aspercreme. It helps cut down on some of the pain, makes it easier to manage. 

• Posted

Hi Charlie

thankyou for your advice, I will certainly try the water technique, sounds interesting.

i will try the Aspercreme the problems I’ve had with creams is getting them into the scalp of the affected area.should be fine on the face.

• Posted

Hi Charlie

Thanks for the info.  I did try drinking water but for me it didn't help me much. 

• Posted

I have PHN of the chest and back and use ice cold packs and massage to calm it down in addition to Tegrital though there are many other pain relievers available. Consult your doctor as it may become a long term pain if not treated immediately.

• Posted

Thankyou Ashok for your reply. I also use ice packs on my head and face they do help.

i am on pregablin and pain for pain. 

I am planning on seeing the GP this week about my eye. The pain clinic were not that helpful they gave me a leaflet to ring mental health sercvu

• Posted

Actually, therapy can be extremely helpful, especially cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). I’m surprised the pain clinic doesn’t provide that themselves, but some are better than others. 
  • Posted

I do find that a cold wet washcloth or ice pack help calm it down some.

• Posted

Yes ice pack/ wet cloths help just wish there was a cure. I read somewhere that pear juice helps but I didn’t think it did not for me I suppose we are all different 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.