I have a fear o death and don't know hot to cope with it

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have an extreme fear of death. Not for everyday well being more just that the inevetibility of dying and that this is your only life and the unknown of after death. It absolutely consumes me and tears me apart I feel hopefulness and scared and get in to a flight situation . I don't know how to deal with it because no one seems to understand me when I talk about it

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I fear it as well but you have to just live your best day by day and try not to think of it.

I think we are all scared of death and what happens after. Is there a reason why you are thinking this? Did you lose someone close to you recently??

I would totally go talk to someone about your fear and you can learn how to cope. It really helps smile

Hang In there and try to think positive and be greatful for your health and people that care about you. Hugs

• Posted

Dear Isabel

I share the same fear and dread on a daily basis and this has been for years.

I have health anxieties which arise from time to time and I am just recovering from a very difficult and challenging time for the past few months.

I have suffered the absolute fear of death since I ws training as a nurse (big mistake) and it has plagued my thought process for many years. Sometimes it gets out of hand as it has been at the mement which I think was triggered by my mothers death a year ago and many other aqauintances ill health etc.

The problem is that references to deah and illness appear to flood the senses and within an hour of getting up and out I have noticed that this can happen over 10 times via the television, papers. crosswords, conversations with or hearing others.

This can go on all day and it may be all I hear and / or read about.

I am waiting for CBT on the NHS however, I think that I will be waiting for some time still have heard nothing back from a referral before Christmas.

I am so scared of taking medication and did not get on well with Citalopram so have stopped taking it.

I had a heart scare and was given a diagnosis of Atrial Fibrillation by a local Cardiac Clinic following a heart monitor which was read by a GP and told to me OVER THE PHONE . I was told that I had to take Warfarin due to a risk of stroke which of course floored me and caused massive anxiety but after following this up at  great expense privately this has been ruled out by two cardiologists.

I know exactly how you feel and have been there a long time.

• Posted

I USE TO THINK ABOUT IT ALL OF THE TIME UNTIL I GOT ON MEDICINE U JUST WORRY ALOT THAT'S ALL JUST GO TALK TO SOMEBODY ABOUT IT
  • Posted

Hi so your afraid to die or death why? Its just like no matter what it will happen and the sooner you realize that the less it will bother.you. Why be scared.of something you have no.control over sooner or later it will happen and. Don't be afraid to. Im not at all i no it will come and that's that. Just try and except it. Its almost like not having to worry or do anything almost like a relief in a way.
  • Posted

I am the same, and so is my Father. I have feared it since i was 7 and i am now 46... I have periods where i am well and it doesn't faze me and then i have times where i can not watch TV because of all the triggers! Especially the news! When i am well i can watch programs about hospital emergency rooms and not bat an eye lid...i am learning as i get older to enjoy the small things in life and not to worry about that which has not happened yet, my grown up children and their partners give me huge pleasure and make me proud and i try to focus on that when i am bad. Therapy and medication helps me, as does meditation and walking... You have to find your own thing that will help you get your mojo back
  • Posted

I think we all have a morbid fear of death and what happens afterwards, faith for me is a thing I have to compensate, however we just have to have an acceptance that one day it will happen to us all, however medical advancement is prolonging and saving lives so the chances deminish of early death as each year goes by, in the mean time live in the moment and practice MINDFULLNESS, which helps us live in the moment rather than past or future.

Also from a scientific point of view energy cannot be distroyed it can only change to another type of energy as such what happens to the energy that created or gives us consciousness when our body dies could be considered as being our soul which when we pass has to leave us and become something else and where or what it changes to may we'll be the afterlife but not necessarily as we believe it to be, for me it's "heaven". 

Hope that gives some comfort. Neil 

• Posted

Thats a lovely way of putting it and what i know in my heart to be true but it takes years of practice to live in the moment, and in the meantime life can be one big stressfest!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.