I have a few questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello smile

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for the day after tomorrow. I've been trying my best to follow the bowel prep instructions and tried to avoid wheat and added fibres and things like that in my food. However, I just noticed that the particular meat I was using for my sandwiches has wheat fibre. Will that cause any problems?

Anything you would suggest to make the colon cleansing process easier? Quite recently I recovered from diarrhea and dehydration which made me feel absolutely awful. I don't wanna deal with it all over again!

I'm also getting extremely anxious as the day of my precodeure is approaching. Any tips to help deal with it? sad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

As long as you follow the prescribed diet the day you take the laxative you will be fine. Modern preparations generally include electrolyte replacements so you don't get out of balance but you do need to keep your water levels up. I would get some wet wipes for the loo and some Vaseline or an appropriate cream because you can get a bit sore. Everyone is apprehensive about the test but the vast majority of people are fine with it. Actually, I find a doctor's inspection with a little torch scope, which is a routine test, more painful than a colonoscopy. Colonoscopy just feels a bit odd to most people rather than painful. As the tube passes the first bend in the gut you can get a pushing feeling but they get in quite quickly and once it is past that bend it is usually free of any feeling. They withdraw it more slowly to take pictures and examine everything but the withdrawal is the direction the gut is used to because that's what it is doing for you every day and so that is nearly always no trouble. If you are sedated you may not remember much anyway. It's not half as bad as you imagine it is going to be so just think of the food you can have afterwards because you may feel quite hungry. Good luck!

• Posted

As you still have 2 days to go to cleanse your bowel the wheat you have had will not be a problem....just make sure you drink PLENTY of water from now on as per the instruction sheet from the hospital..regards
  • Posted

HI,

I aren't sure which prep you are using though, I had Moviprep.  I pre made my drinks in glasses put it in the fridge so it was cold I tasted better that way.  I got some lime cordial and every time I drunk the prep I drink the lime to take away the taste.  Used a straw as well and it seemed to help a lot.  I think you've eaten fine, don't worry about that, the prep will certainly clear you out.  Mine took a white to go clear but it will in the end and I ended up were I didn't use the whole prep as I was clear.  I was like you very scared but the nurses and drs are so great.  Put Vaseline on your bottom as it will get very sore or use sudocrem.  Tell them if you are sore as they will put some local anaesthetic.  You'll be so pleased you had it done in the end and won't need one doing again for a long time.  If I can do it you can as I'm really anxious about things x 

• Posted

Ethermail is spot on with the description of the prep.  Once you are on liquids only and have taken the prep there will be NOTHING left inside you, but as mentioned, the prep does replace the essential stuff.  Just be prepared to stay in the loo for some time.  I had my kindle with me and others have music, iPads etc.  I also took the precaution of an incontinence pad when I went to bed between doses, and travelling to the hospital.  If you have been told to avoid wheat, then you should not be having bread.  I was on mash, steamed fish, yogurt.

For most people the procedure is just uncomfortable.  I was sedated for my 1st and remember virtually nothing about it!  I was just windy afterwards!  Good luck

• Posted

Also Vanillabean, when the prep was finished the runs finished after a few more loo visits.  My sedation made me feel drunk but could feel and hear everything.  It wasn't pain though a weird feeling going round the two corners.  So if you are getting sedated you could maybe ask for a bit more if it isn't having a great affect.  Yeah windy after especially on the recovery ward lol.

• Posted

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. I'll follow the advices given. The prep I'll be taking is called Prepkit-C, has anyone tried it? I couldn't find many reviews on it. I'm already very hungry and it's only morning time. Read some stories and it seems most people were allowed to eat breakfast but in the instructions given by my doctor they wrote in bold, all caps and underlined saying no food the day prior to the procedure cry One thing I've noticed though, the low residue diet has helped ease my stomach cramps and a couple of other symptoms quite a bit. They're not as bad as it usually is.

They said they'll put me under general anesthesia during the procedure so I won't feel any pain or discomfort. I think the gastroscopy might be quite uncomfortable though haha. I'm not feeling as anxious after reading the experiences all of you had, thanks for sharing!

• Posted

You'll have to let us know how it went.  Btw they usually take biopsies of tissue to check things so don't be alarmed.  You can't be in uk we don't get put asleep for it here much I think being asleep must be better.  

• Posted

Nope, not from the UK. I didn't know being awake was an option until reading the replies here! I think I'd rather be awake and watch how everything is done haha.

It went quite well. It certainly wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. They put me to sleep for both procedures so I felt nothing, I just remember waking up and thinking to myself there's noway they did anything. I think the worst part of the whole thing was the bowel prep. I wasn't prepared for how bad one of the mixtures would taste. Yuck, it was so sour and disgusting and smelled terrible. The other mixture tasted fine though.

Yep, she took a few biopsies as you said but she told me it's nothing to worry about smile

• Posted

Oh well done. I was wondering how you got on.  Yeah the prep is the worst almost like you feel better that's over and can get on with the next thing and relieved to be there and have it done.  Things must of looked normal or they'd have said.  I got told even if things look normal they take biopsies as they are there doing it lol.    Now you know everything is ok in there heh something you would never know if you hadn't of had it done.  You should have your favourite treat now x 

• Posted

such a relief when its all over...walking on air out of the hospital if everything is ok...take pity on me i have to have colonoscopies every 2 years for the rest of my life!!!!!....regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.