I have a friend who says she hears voices?

Posted , 3 users are following.

sit back, this is going to take a bit to explain.

so I have a friend, who opened up to me about quite a bit the other day. she said not to worry, but I am. it's short sleeve season and she has a lot of scars on her arms and legs. I asked her why she would do that (she has dealt with cutting problems in the past but never this severe). she told me that during the winter, when her seasonal depression is high, she hears voices in her head. not like real loud, she says they feel like their not within her body, but outside of it. she says they tell her different things when she's in different situations. they all have different personalities and different voices- and a lot of them don't get along. she told me on one instance she was cutting herself, but on her thigh instead of her wrist because the "meaner" voice/person told her to cut herself open to see what's inside. she also said this same person told her to cut her arm to see what the difference would be. she says that when she's exercising she hears the meaner voice telling her to push herself harder to lose weight faster. and that the nicer voice tried to tell her not to listen to the meaner person. she also told me sometimes when she tries to remember certain memories that she can actually see physical people that match the voice in the memories. those are only a few of the major situations, she says there's a lot more smaller circumstances that this happens. and she said that now that her seasonal depression is coming to an end, that the meaner person has settled down a bit, and it's mostly the good one talking to her. she told me not to worry, she insists that she thinks she just has an over active imagination, but I'm concerned. do you think there's something wrong with her? what should I do? I'm afraid to tell anyone because I told her I'd keep this a secret.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alex

I have similar thoughts to your friend and if she has had these 'demons' as i call them it is very hard to stop thinking of them especially in a depressive phase. Mindfulness was recommended to me. It is a book with a cd to do meditation. It doesn't clear these thoughts but it helps with trying to think differently. The book is ten pound i think and on amazon. Alternatively you could get advice from the Mind website. Hope this helps a bit.

Alison

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.