I have a heart valve and I am on Coumadin.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was told by the doctors not to take any medicine that had antihistamine  in it.  Anyone know the reason?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I`m not really sure but I think it lessens the effectiveness of Coumadin.  I was told I could takeTylenol but not Aspirin.  
    • Posted

What do you take for a head cold that is safe with coumadin? I have had a mechanical heart valve for 16 years and have been on coumadin. I have not been sick since the valve replacement so I don.t know what to take. Thanks for all the replies.
    • Posted

So now Tylenol is out!!   We are going to be running out of options....I will be seeing my doctor next week so if I can remember I will ask her.
  • Posted

Hi Marvin,

apparently its because the antihistamine sometimes makes people drowsy which in turn could lead to people falling over and because Coumadin is a blood thinner doctors think its risky to take both together.

• Posted

You may be right. I heart surgeon to not take some meds and I try to do what I am told.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.