I have a HUGE ovarian cyst and I have to undergo an urgent laparotomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone! It’s my first time posting here.

I’m 21 years old and was recently diagnosed with right ovarian cyst (20.5x30x12 cm) (I know, massive!). My doctor said I have to do a laparotomy (a very long vertical incision) as soon as possible as I had one elevated tumor marker (although it’s unlikely to be malignant, and I sure hope so🙏??) and because of the size of the cyst as it is taking all over my abdomen. The problem is that I’m a student nurse in my final year, and only less than a month and half is left till we finish this semester. I’m worried about the recovery period; he told me it would take a month (which would make me unable to finish the semester and therefore repeat the whole semester next year), so did anyone have the same experience? If so, can you tell me about it, and whether is it possible for me to go back to college 2-3 weeks post-op so I can finish the semester? And would it be possible for me to study for my exams like 10 days post-op?

I’d really appreciate your replies 🙏??

Thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I had this done mine was huge too. Recovery was 6-8 weeks, first couple weeks are  sore. How long are exams? Because sitting could be painful. No heavy lifting too

• Posted

Hi - I had the same surgery. My incision was horizontal across my bikini line from one side to the other. 

I can't believe your timing! I would ask your school if there is anyway to make an exception to take your exams a little later - you never know! They may accommodate the request. Realistically I think it's going to be hard. 

I was operated on Dec 15th and on Xmas day, 10 days later I left the house for the first time just to go to my fathers for dinner with the family and it almost killed me! 

1. You are still on pain meds (at least I was)

2. Sleeping was erratic due to the pain and being on my back which I wasn't used to. I could not sleep on my side for at least 8 weeks I think it was. I had to take pain meds every 4 hrs on the clock.

2. I could not sit for any length of time (the car ride was excruciating!!!!) 

3. After the car ride I could not sit at all once I got to my fathers - I stood the entire time and had dinner standing at the kitchen island and went home right after to lie back down. 

You might be able to study in between sleeping, propped up in bed. The one thing to consider is how heavy any of your text books are. I couldn't hold a heavy novel, it was too much. (maybe you are online? just prop a laptop up?)

I think the bigger issue going back to school post op 2-3 weeks is sitting during the classes for any length of time. Maybe they would let you stand the entire time? OR sit intermittently? 

2 weeks is too soon for sure, even 3 will be very hard. I would aim for 4 weeks to try. 

If I were you I would try it! You will be in pain but it beats taking the year over again! 

• Posted

I feel your pain I’ve had three ops one vertical cut and two horizontal. The pain is out of this world 😬

• Posted

Dear allie i had the same thing done but my was 3 small incension today it makes it 2 weeks since i had the surgery i had my ovary and tube taking out and i am still in pain i am having a hard time still walking up and down the steps it is still hard to sleep on my sides it hurts
  • Posted

Hey everyone! Thank you so much for your replies! I just wanted to update you, I ended up having the surgery, and fortunately everything worked out with college wink. It was a benign mucinous cyst, and I ended up having a 20 cm vertical incision. In 2 days it will be 2 months post op, and I certainly feel much better now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.