I have a lump in my neck

Posted ,

Hi I’m hoping someone will be able to give me some answers. I’ve had a lump in my neck for at least 3 months now, I had blood tests which all came back normal. I went for an ultrasound today and the person who performed it said it is an enlarged lymph node, but I’m unsure of this as it moves up when I stick my tongue out. I’ve done a lot of research recently and the only thing that comes up as a lump that moves up on tongue protrusion is thyroglossal duct cyst, I can’t find anywhere that says a lymph node would do this. I mentioned this to the person who performed my ultrasound but he dismissed my suggestion of thyroglossal duct cyst, I directly asked if an enlarged lymph node would move up when I stick my tongue out and he said yes, but as I said I cannot find this anywhere on the internet. I have looked in many books and on websites including NICE guidelines, they all say that a neck mass that moves up on tongue protusion is a thyroglossal duct cyst. So my question is has anyone experienced an enlarged lymph node that moves up when you stick out your tongue? I feel quite silly but any guidelines of examinations of neck lumps I come across say to ask the patient to protrude their tongue, if the lump rises it is likely a thyroglossal duct cyst? I also have no signs of infection for my lymph node to be enlarged , and as I said my bloods were normal and it has been there for at least 3 months now, thanks in advance to any suggestions and replies.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.