I have a nodule in my thyroid gland on right side. Doctors have advised Hemithyroidectomy. Advice?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am Priya, 19 years old. I have a nodule on right lobe of thyroid gland.  My endcrinologist has advised hemithyroidectomy to rule out cancer as the thyroid scan showed a cold nodule and USG guided FNAC is suspicious of follicular neoplasia.  My harmone levels are normal. I have not other complication.  Should I go for surgery or wait for some more months to see whether the nodule is increasing in size or some other problem arises due to this.  How much time I can avoid surgery.  Please advise

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

That is a decision that is solely your own.

Choose your endocrinologist carefully.

Choose your surgeon carefullt, now so you will not be put into a rush decision down the road.

I had my thyroid excised 9-12-2001.

I do great. A thyroid blood test every six months, show visit with the endocrinologist.

I am going to give you a lot to think about...ask all the questions you would like.

Thyroid is the thermostat of the body....if the thermostat goes out in your house, everything goes cold, the pipes freeze, then the pipes burst, and you have an incredible mess to clean up.

This is just some of what your body goes through...

fatigue

weight gain

muscle weakness

always feeling cold

dry skin

constipation

hair loss..breakage

depression

reduced heart rate

The symptoms worsen in direct proportion to how T3 and T4 deficient your body is. The body can not live without thyroid hormone.

We are a society that wants everything at warp speed...thyroid is ploddingly slow.

If I make a change in thyroid medication today, my blood will not show the full results of that change for 6 weeks. It is preferred to gradually increase thyroid hormone every 6 weeks because if you overshoot optimum, the symptoms of hyper are going to be just as troubling as those of hypo are. In my case, once T4 and TSH were where my endocrinologist wanted them, she increased T3 only. Think radio station, you have reception... and static. So you fine tune the reception with T3 and lose the static.

Pertaining only to those patients on Levothyroxine-Synthroid (T4), about half of these patients will feel great improvement if their T3 is about 75% of normal range, for me that level is about 3.7.

T4 (Thyroxine), named for it's 4 iodine atoms, maintains a relatively stable blood level and is therefore termed long acting.

T3 (Triiodothyronine), named for it's 3 iodine atoms, fluctuates and is therefore termed short acting.

Let us ingest T4 (Thyroxine, brand name Levothyroxine-Synthroid ) Our body takes in T4 and converts the T4 into T3 (Triiodothyronine) through chemical reaction. In other words, our body takes the 4 iodine atoms and converts the 4 iodine atoms into a new compound with only 3 iodine atoms.

So from a strick biological & chemical viewpoint, many say if I can use one chemical compound (T4) to make the other chemical compound (T3) in the body, I only need to administer the T4.

BUT many studies have shown that about half of the patients on T4 feel better taking both T4 and T3.

The argument of Armour's Thyroid versus Synthroid...

One grain of ARMOUR'S THYROID is 60 mg.

Each 60 mg of ARMOUR'S THYROID contains .038 mg (or 38 mcg) of T4

AND each 60 mg of ARMOUR'S THYROID contains 9 mcg of T3 , plus unmeasured amounts of T2, T1 and calcitonin.

SYNTHROID is all T4

which explains why the addition of CYTOMEL (which is all T3) makes fifty percent or so of SYNTHROID users feel so much better.

Remember T3 is a short half life which is why T4 is prescribed as the backbone of treatment...some of us do not effectively metabolize T4 into T3. For these individuals, supplemental T3 should be considered.

This is a lot for you to digest....

just remember, your pituitary gland secrets TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) which is the message for the thyroid to respond by releasing T4...if the thyroid does not respond, the pituitary gland releases more TSH, begging the thyroid to respond...if the thyroid remains unresponsive the pituitary gland releases even more TSH, screaming at the thyroid...

I have no thyroid, lost it to cancer.

My TSH is 0.01. And no, you do not want my TSH. I am hyperthyroidic because that is how my endocrinologist must maintain me to avoid a recurrence of the cancer.

My TSH must be 0.05 or less but detectable. My endocrinologist also writes her prescriptions ss no substitution...Synthroid, currently I take 125 mcgandCytomel, currently I take 10 mcg

Thyroid medication is taken on an empty stomach with nothing for two hours after taking the medication.

If you click on the envelope near by name, you can private message me.

• Posted

That is a decision that is solely your own.

Choose your endocrinologist carefully.

Choose your surgeon carefullt, now so you will not be put into a rush decision down the road.

I had my thyroid excised 9-12-2001.

I do great. A thyroid blood test every six months, show visit with the endocrinologist.

I am going to give you a lot to think about...ask all the questions you would like.

Thyroid is the thermostat of the body....if the thermostat goes out in your house, everything goes cold, the pipes freeze, then the pipes burst, and you have an incredible mess to clean up.

This is just some of what your body goes through...

fatigue

weight gain

muscle weakness

always feeling cold

dry skin

constipation

hair loss..breakage

depression

reduced heart rate

The symptoms worsen in direct proportion to how T3 and T4 deficient your body is. The body can not live without thyroid hormone.

We are a society that wants everything at warp speed...thyroid is ploddingly slow.

If I make a change in thyroid medication today, my blood will not show the full results of that change for 6 weeks. It is preferred to gradually increase thyroid hormone every 6 weeks because if you overshoot optimum, the symptoms of hyper are going to be just as troubling as those of hypo are. In my case, once T4 and TSH were where my endocrinologist wanted them, she increased T3 only. Think radio station, you have reception... and static. So you fine tune the reception with T3 and lose the static.

Pertaining only to those patients on Levothyroxine-Synthroid (T4), about half of these patients will feel great improvement if their T3 is about 75% of normal range, for me that level is about 3.7.

T4 (Thyroxine), named for it's 4 iodine atoms, maintains a relatively stable blood level and is therefore termed long acting.

T3 (Triiodothyronine), named for it's 3 iodine atoms, fluctuates and is therefore termed short acting.

Let us ingest T4 (Thyroxine, brand name Levothyroxine-Synthroid ) Our body takes in T4 and converts the T4 into T3 (Triiodothyronine) through chemical reaction. In other words, our body takes the 4 iodine atoms and converts the 4 iodine atoms into a new compound with only 3 iodine atoms.

So from a strick biological & chemical viewpoint, many say if I can use one chemical compound (T4) to make the other chemical compound (T3) in the body, I only need to administer the T4.

BUT many studies have shown that about half of the patients on T4 feel better taking both T4 and T3.

The argument of Armour's Thyroid versus Synthroid...

One grain of ARMOUR'S THYROID is 60 mg.

Each 60 mg of ARMOUR'S THYROID contains .038 mg (or 38 mcg) of T4

AND each 60 mg of ARMOUR'S THYROID contains 9 mcg of T3 , plus unmeasured amounts of T2, T1 and calcitonin.

SYNTHROID is all T4

which explains why the addition of CYTOMEL (which is all T3) makes fifty percent or so of SYNTHROID users feel so much better.

Remember T3 is a short half life which is why T4 is prescribed as the backbone of treatment...some of us do not effectively metabolize T4 into T3. For these individuals, supplemental T3 should be considered.

This is a lot for you to digest....

just remember, your pituitary gland secrets TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) which is the message for the thyroid to respond by releasing T4...if the thyroid does not respond, the pituitary gland releases more TSH, begging the thyroid to respond...if the thyroid remains unresponsive the pituitary gland releases even more TSH, screaming at the thyroid...

I have no thyroid, lost it to cancer.

My TSH is 0.01. And no, you do not want my TSH. I am hyperthyroidic because that is how my endocrinologist must maintain me to avoid a recurrence of the cancer.

My TSH must be 0.05 or less but detectable. My endocrinologist also writes her prescriptions ss no substitution...Synthroid, currently I take 125 mcgandCytomel, currently I take 10 mcg

Thyroid medication is taken on an empty stomach with nothing for two hours after taking the medication.

If you click on the envelope near by name, you can private message me.

• Posted

I had my thyroid removed as it was enlarged with nodules I wish now I had known about these forums and researched before going ahead with the removal I wish I had gone for a partial rather than a total as the side effects of the medication available in UK (levothyroxine) are horrid and take a long time to get to a stage that you can live with (if you ever do).

I wish you well smile

• Posted

I bet that Cytomel 5 mcg would make you feel better. That would be a beginning. You may need more.

Cytomel is a prescription.

hugs, it can be so much better!

I began at the 5 mcg, then went to 5 mcg in both the morning and night, next took 10 mcg in the morning which is what removes the static for me.

• Posted

Trust your doctors. I had the same with no symptoms( found by chance) and it was cancer. I had the other half of my thyroid removed 3 months later and then had four days of radioactive iodine. Don't be afraid, it may well be harmless and none of it hurt at all.

Good luck

• Posted

My physician found my cancer.

Removed entire thyroid about 5 months later

6 months later swallowed the radioactive pills

• Posted

I found s lump in my neck in 2011, dr referred for ultrasound & took blood tests. Blood came back hyperthyroid, which explained some symptoms I had been ignoring! Long story short, it was Graves with multi nodular goitre, so onto carbimazole. Then I developed Thyroid Eye Disease, which necessitated lots of trips to Moorfields Hospital. The next little joy was being told I had Pre Tibial Myxodaema (evidently triggered the same as the eye disease). The last fna (on the biggest mode )result showed a possibility of follicular cancer that was end 2013. So 2013 we're 2 operations on my right eye to give me back my sight, followed by decompression surgery on my right eye early 2014 and 2 operations to remove my thyroid after confirmation of follicular carcinoma of the thyroid. Now after 2 years of levothyroxine I am finally feeling 'normal' allowing for the heat as I have to be over compensated as I couldn't have radio iodine due to the TED. On top of this I am 7 weeks post op from total knee replacement.

Just remember that thyroid is the gift that keeps on giving. (Even when you don't want the gifts!!)

XX

• Posted

Marilyn,

You had way more than any one person should ever go through...I just want to hug you and hold you close!

hehe....I have a right total knee...see your TKR and raise you a right total elbow done Aug 30 with a right DRUJ replacement set for January 6...giggle giggle

Levo is all T4...do you take any T3?

Do you have full vision now?

Unrelated, my right viteous humor is detaching which I am told is just aggravating except it could detach the retina in the process.

hugs

• Posted

Hello, wow you really have been through the wars! I consider myself to be very lucky as my cancer was caught early & as you know DTC thyroid cancers are really slow growing. Yes I now have single binocular vision thanks to Moorfields. It was worth the 1 3/4 hour journey there on the tube.

No I don't take T3 my oncologist & endo keep saying that according to NICE guidelines I can only have Levothyroxine! I was given Liothyronine after completion thyroidectomy & felt wonderful on that but it was only for a few weeks & they won't put me back on it! I have adjusted more or less now, but still get the flushes. Ever time I mention it I am told it is menopausal! I know the difference, went through all that in 2005 after coming off HRT! This is completely different, it's like a furnace has been turned on in my body, all over! Still here though!

I love the way you are always so positive & have followed some of your threads on TKR. I don't like the sound of vitreous humour becoming detached, I only hope it doesn't detach the retina, sight is so important. You hang on in there.

I love to see your replies on both subjects, you give sage advice & a few lol!!

I look forward to seeing your replies on both subjects! (I'm not getting into the dreaded TKR now!!)

All the best to you. Have a wonderful Christmas. 🎄😊

XX

• Posted

oh Marilyn, you are so very kind...I am findind the vitreous humor to be anything but funny...I think I need those gloves they tie over baby hands cause I just want the dang floater out! 8.5 more months to go..aargh..

My endocrinologist closely monitors my antibodies...which have jumped up several times and then drop back down. After 15 years I no longer stress over it.

Overheat...my TSH is 0.01 and my head drips like a garden hose turned wide open...menopause...does your doc wear pants?!!

The Colorado Rocky Mountains are frigid tonight. .fireplace is going full blast....stay warm

Merry Christmas!!

bug, warm hugs

• Posted

Thank you for all your support. It's hard hearing the 'heat' stays. I was hoping you'd say it goes away! Ever the optimist! 😂

Keep up the smiles, you do cheer me up, even though you talk damn good sense.

Happy Christmas

XX

🎄😀

• Posted

I gotta tell you...Ziggy and I have been in a battle of wills today...he hates walking on stuff from the sky....he doesn't like stuff falling on his head...and he hates the cold. Well, this morning was the triple whamy and he liked to have kilt himself trying to avoid stepping with his feet! Finally, he did the pee thing, but pooh, no way! So back upstairs we go...Rather than make a pooh, he spent two hours in the bathroom laying on his Piddle Place!

..Like, this dog is so German, so Scottish...no, he is so English as in Yorkie!

• Posted

We have not heard from you in a while...how are you doing?
    • Posted

Hello there, sorry have been out!!! Also have been catching up on housework, my other half has been doing it but..... you know how it is no one can do like yourself. Lol.

Everything going well at the mo. TKR doing ok, but you know how it is 1 step forward 2 back! Nothing bad just so tired & exercise so hard, you know how it is. Sleeping getting easier, once I find a comfortable position. Trying not to do too much too soon but I am impatient & want to do things now! Grrr!

Still shouldn't complain, the knee will heal & in truth compared to others is nothing!

Sorry to be such a grump, must have woken up on the wrong side of the bed!!

Anyway I still have Christmas cards to write & presents to wrap. Thank you Amazon! So yet another day on the sofa. Looking forward to the family being under the same roof for a good meal & fun.

All the best to everyone who reads this, we're all on a journey & we will get there.

XX

• Posted

I need to finish shopping and then off to the post office...and now my handiman wants to tile my kitchen....I bet his wife told him to find something to do...hahaha

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.