I have a periodic dry cough with costo, does anyone else have this symptom?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I know heavy coughing can cause costochondritis, but I don't normally cough at all. I was diagnosed with costo due to some "heaviness" in my chest and sore ribs.

But I find that one way I know I have a bout of costo is when suddenly I'll just cough. It's a single cough, one dry hack. And then maybe an hour or two hours later, another. Then maybe not for a few days. It lasts as long as I have the bout. It rarely happens when I'm lying down.

On one hand, it doesn't seem like an odd symptom, considering a lot of the ribs are right over the lungs. On the other hand, I don't see it as a symptom anywhere. On yet another hand, I never cough otherwise. But the bout I'm having currently started about six weeks ago and I've had this cough I described for that period of time.

In the last six weeks, I was at the doctor on an unrelated issue. She checked my breathing and everything was normal. And she said that coughing isn't a symptom of costochondritis and could be environmental or something else. Yet I always have it with bouts of costo.

Does anyone else get a cough as a symptom? Or is it just me and it must be something else? It would put my mind at ease to know I'm not the only one...

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.