I have a plan! Getting off 30mg codeine with methadone! Thank you to everyone who replied x

Posted , 6 users are following.

I didnt want this to get lost so I made a new thread and this is to everyone who kindly replied to my previous post "seriously addicted to codeine, please help"

I went to my local drug centre and have seen the doctor today, the whole process has taken about one week. We talked for two hours about me going on methadone or subutex and he believes I should go on meth.

He called my doctor and he said I could either do it via them or the doctors. He was concerned I was not a "hard addict" and didn't want me sitting in the waiting room but I said that they have shown more care and help than my doctor who got me in this mess in the first place.

So I left with a prescription of methadone for the next 3 days. I am taking 30mg each day and go back on Monday.

I have to continue taking my codeine and write down how many I am taking too.

My question is what is the equivalent from 30mg methadone to codeine? Does anyone know?

Thank you again to anyone who took the time to reply. Without it I would never have gone forward.

I am taking up to 25 to 30 codeine of 30mg a day and it needs to stop.

I would welcome any advice if you have any, is anyone else on methadone?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Great work, I have to agree that drug and alcohol services are far more helpful than the GP's.

Those "hard addicts" are a bunch of lovely people, I've had loads of great chats in the waiting room.

• Posted

Thank you so much I really appreciate you replying if it wasn't for your initial reply I would never have gone down that route. Yes hard addicts do not bother me I am no different to them actually, I just want to make sure I'm making the right choice, he says to take methadone because of the doses I take of codeine but I'm worried I'm making a mistake
    • Posted

Methadone sounds a worrying route but I reckon go with the advice - you don't want another addiction so you aren't going to get too used to the methadone, it's only for a few weeks to avoid all the nasty withdrawal.

Did they mention Lofexidine? They should do as it's brilliant at removing all the withdrawal symptoms. Can be used alongside methadone too.

• Posted

Good job going to the doctor and getting help. I have no experience with methadone but I hope it helps you
    • Posted

It's great to hear the drug centre is helping you.
  • Posted

I am an ex herion addict who got off it by going on methadone and have since had a problem with codine and I would honestly say methadone is the worst withdrawal ive ever been through. Its more addictive than herion and stays in your bones for years after you have stopped. Being someone that has been on methadone I personally wouldnt say it is a good option I wouldn't wish the withdrawals on my worst enemy
    • Posted

Hi Zoe

I know a guy who says he is 9 years clean from heroin BUT he drinks, buys codeine linctus and asks people for pain killers and valium.

You must be correct that the craving stays in your bones for years.

• Posted

Taking both the codeine and methadone is extremely dangerous. It is a misuse of methadone and I don't see the point. Methadone is taken instead of the codeine, always had been. Something is wrong with this picture.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.