I have a question

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hello everyone. 

My surgeon just called to discuss a problem I had over the weekend. During the

discussion, I mentioned my knee only bends to approx 80 degrees after 3 weeks.

His response was thats not good, that it has to get to 120.

He says that if I don't get it to at least 100 by the end of the week that he wants to see me to address it. 

Now this basically has me pretty freaked out. I have struggled to get this knee to bend to 80 so far. Is it even reasonable to get it to jump to 100 in 4 days?

If I don't get it there, anyone have any idea what procedure they might use to get it there and has anyone been through this?

0 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi peter, I have noticed a lot of people talking about their bend being different degrees.

How can you tell I havent a clue what mine is. I'm nearly 9 weeks post op. 

• Posted

Hello Margaret,

It's the physio that measures it. If you sit in a chair and pull your knee in as far as you can without real pain, they like that to measure a minimum of 90 degrees. I'm struggling (9+ weeks) but keep being reassured that I will get there in the end!

Veronica

• Posted

Hi margaret,

as veronica said, the physio uses someting called a goniometer to measure the angles of your knee. I bought an Ipad app for 5 bucks just for fun and it seems to be pretty accurate. i been getting the same numbers as the physio.

• Posted

Thanks Veronica, we don't get physio here, I'm from Belfast, just exercises to do at home. 
    • Posted

Hi Margaret, the app is called kneeGoni. Cost is 4.99

Originally I bought it for fun but it turns out it works fairly well.

a but tricky to get used to but not bad at all.

enjoy!

• Posted

Just got back from physio and they were well pleased with me. Currently my extension is 11 and flexion is 80. They said although my numbers are not ideal, I have shown good consistant progress each time. They said some knees simply take longer than others. They are all diff

and both my extension and flexion will come back in time. So im happy

• Posted

Yay!!!!! My ideal is getting to that lovely point where weeks have gone by and I haven't stressed about progress and I suddenly realize that I am through the tough part! Is anyone else excited to have 2 new knees, more mobility, strong quads that can squat and climb AND the prospect of no knee surgery for about 20 years? I sure am!!!!!
    • Posted

Hi MCanada, thats FANTASTC!

I have a long way to go but sure am looking forward to it.

The past summer I did a 200k solo canoe trip. Went through close to 50 lakes and as many portages. Right now I cant even walk to the corner store.

haha, but Im planning my next trip already!

thanks so much for the most encouraging post. Keep up the positive outlook!

• Posted

Yours are pretty inspiring too you know. Go Canada! :-)
  • Posted

Did you buy the kneegoni from the Apple apts store, I have just searched and can't find it?

• Posted

Yes from the apple apps store.

type in knee goniometer

so sorry, I should have been more specific

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.