I have a Question

Posted , 4 users are following.

I recently discovered a sore on the lip of my vagina. I went to the doctor and the doctor did a swab. The result came back that I have herpes. I'm so scared and worried as to how I was exposed. Should I get another test to determine which Type I have and how to prevent.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did they not confirm the type the first time? You might want to check with your clinic. Otherwise it's a good idea to know the type, but if the sore has already started to heal, you may not get accurate results. Standard swab testing is by viral culture, which needs to be done while sores are fairly new and before the onset of healing. A pcr swab can be done a bit later.

• Posted

A swab was done when I first noticed the liaison. Now should I get the first done or wait wait until the next out break.
    • Posted

No they did not. The nurse just called and said you have herpes. I have a follow up on Tuesday and I'm very emotional now.

• Posted

Herpes is very common, 70-75% people have it. It remains dormant after a while. 
    • Posted

Sometimes they don't think it's necessary to tell you the type, so ask. They may already have that info. If not, it may be too late to swab again now, but you can do the IgG antibody test in 3 months. Or swab the next time you have an outbreak.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.