I have a question about platelets.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a question about platelets. My platelets in April were 391 in May they where 386 about a week ago they where 403. Back in early March I was told I had low iron. My ferritin was 2 and is now at 20. Im on an Iron pill. The low iron and ferritin was due to a diet I believe. My hemaglobe was 11.5 and is now 13.3. I had bilateral pes in November of 2016. Was on thinners for 6 months and then taken off in may 2017. They are not 100% sure where my pes came from but possibly kicking a door 20 or 30 times. My mom is on blood thinners for life as she said she got pes a couple times in her early 30s. Im 37 in a week. She says she does not have a blood clotting disorder but my mom never gets checked out by a doctor. I was tested in 2016 after my pes for clotting disorders and I don't have any. My pulmonologist I just started seeing in the middle of this year also said he ran test for certain clotting disorders and did not find anything. My pulmonologist also said when I had him read my ct scan from 2016 that he can't tell if I had a pe or not due to the ct scan being not so good. But none the less I have to assume I had one. My sister also had a dvt. But she also had surgery a few weeks prior. Can anyone help me understand why my platelets would go up and down and do I have anything to worry about with getting another clot being my platelets being 390s to 403s? Or is it due to my iron?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Have you spoken to your doctor ? he/she can explain everything in laymens terms for you, there's just to many variables and I wouldn't feel comfortable in even suggesting what it may or may not be, by the way I am not a doctor, like you, been there with multiple clots in lungs. I also suffer extremely low iron and I'm a male, which is "apparently" generally unusual in males. I too have to take iron pills as I had quite a severe reaction to the iron infusions, they say it could be diet related but in my case highly unlikely. for some reason most of the time my blood work comes back abnormal in various testings, I.E  white blood cells, platelets, iron, red blood cells, LFT's and kidney function, no one has any answers to any of these to date.

• Posted

You only had a small change in your platelets and as far as I understand they are in the normal range. I have my bloods tested regularly and they go up and down here and there but as long as they are in the normal range I don’t worry. Maybe it’s because you took the iron tablets. Were they testing your platelets because your iron was low? They probably wanted to see if you had internal bleeding or leukaemia. I can understand why you are concerned  though PEs are one of the scariest things I have experienced, but if you are worried ask for a D-dimer blood test.
  • Posted

Thank you for your responses. I think it's just something he checks when he checks my blood every couple months. That was my pcp who took that blood so I see the hematologist in a couple of weeks. I'm sure he will run blood. I was just hoping someone could tell me a little about it. Thank you

• Posted

Hi,

I was given the all clear this week by a Hematologist, they were a little bit concerned about some kind of cancer, but was given the all clear at this stage, I have to have another blood test in 3 months time as I have currently got a chest infection, that sent my white cells right up and can with a few other blood tests so would be useless having a blood test immediately, I was however informed that if I wake up during the night in a heavy sweat for no apparent reason or suddenly lose lots of weight I would have to go back. Sorry I can't give you the answers you are seeking but like I said there's to many things that could be causing your issues(s)

• Posted

Thank you I just hope it's nothing serious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.