I have a question about pregnancy and HS ...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello all, I was wondering has anyone been pregnant while having HS ?? I know it probably has to be painful as stretching goes on... I have been suffering with HS since I was 11 and now im 22. Me and my fiance have been talking about having a baby but I want to make sure that the baby can not get it and it will not affect the pregnancy if I do conceive. Any help will be greatly appreciated. smile Thank you guys !! 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I felt quite sad when I read your post, this is such a dreadful condition and you must be agonising over whether to go ahead. I'm not advising, but this is how it was for me.

I had HS pre and post pregnancy. I've got two lovely daughters who are now over 30 years old. I can't remember having any flare ups whilst being pregnant, but I do clearly remember a bad flare up after one of the births. To be honest you'll be so busy looking after the baby that you just battle through the pain.

It went on and off quite mildly after that until I reached my fifties when it went into overdrive, as I went through the menopause. (I personally believe it must be hormonal, I don't care what the experts say). One of my daughters has it very mildly and the other one doesn't.

Please don't let it put you off, and take the opportunity to raise a family. Personally, if I had the choice, I would do the same again. What will be, will be. It's different for everybody. The positives far outweigh the negatives. Good luck in your decision.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the advice! I am just worried because I do not want my children to go thru what I have for so long. Its scary to think how my flare ups will act while pregnant and after birth... Mine can be so bad at times I cry and I hope I don't have to deal with any bad ones while trying to breast feed since they are bad in that area...
  • Posted

You may find that you will not have HS during pregnancy. I didn't develop HS until right after my 2nd baby but before HS, I had ulcers in my mouth and throat from a peanut sensitive that I didn't realize at the time. While pregnant, I did NOT have the ulcers at all! I was thrilled because I had them so often and they were very painful. Your immune system is different during pregnancy so hopefully you'll find remission while pregnant?!? Try anyway! Babies are worth it! God bless!
  • Posted

I have had several derms tell me most peoples HS is better during pregnancy. I had one lesion my entire pregnancy. Now I have around 12-15 mine actually get worse during my menstrual cycle.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.