I have a question aboutb

Posted , 6 users are following.

In October my TSH was 0.09 (normal range 0.35-4.94).  GP didn't  recommend any change of dose of thyroxine inspite of low reading.  Have just had blood test again because of symptoms I am having and  the TSH was 22.0 (normal range 9.00 a 19.00) so my GP has reduced my dose from 100mcg to 75mcg as apparently I was being over medicated.  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

You are on a high dose....I have been on 50 mcg for many years. I used to have a mild under active thyroid which develop into hypothyroidism. You need to look at your diet, lifestyle...I am on a low carb Paleo diet, sugar free as I also have diabetes, low fat, I am very active, do yoga and pilates, swim, meditate....stress is a a major problem for autoimmune diseases. Keep your weight down.....

• Posted

You have diabetes and take low dose levo. People who take higher doses and keep tsh low have much less chance of diabetes.
    • Posted

My diabetes is hereditary...runs in my family. My thyroid is fine......
  • Posted

Carole,

thaTSH quoted in the first line of your post makes sense. The high TSH quoted later, if it is really the correct number, indicates the need for a higher dose, not less.  So I’m afraid this is confusing. Are the second set of readings on a different scale?

• Posted

Your results don’t really make sense. If your tsh was really 22.0, then you would need a higher dosage to bring it down to as close to 2.0. If your tsh is near to 0.0 then your doctor would reduce your dosage 
  • Posted

Guess you meant T4. Good luck on your lower dosage...thats a big drop in dosage. Have your. FT3 FT4 done as well. Get your labs done as soon and often as possible.
    • Posted

Yeah via breaking or splitting pills or adding a low dose to mix. Doctors get very concerned when they see suppressed tshs even with normal.TFTS. One good thing about suppressed TSH is you have a LOT lower chance of getting thyroid cancer than ppl w higher TSHs. Thyroid CA is exploding allover the world. I know the downsides of suppressed tsh. But

ppl in IVF with suppressed tsh and normal TFTS are the ones most likely to.get pregnant.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.